Friday, September 21, 2018

The Langoliers

Today is the birthday of Stephen King, a day I've never paid any attention at all to in the past, but the host at the Incipient Wings blog is having a party -I'll put a link here to that post when it goes live. In that birthday party spirit I thought I'd watch something by King that was new to me, and The Younger Son suggested The Langoliers. It's a 2-part mini-series based on a 1990 novella. This tv adaptation stars Patricia Wettig, Dean Stockwell, and David Morse. People yell and scream a lot. It's slow, but the journey makes for an interesting ride. Wikipedia begins its plot description with this:
During a red eye flight of a Lockheed L-1011 from Los Angeles International Airport to Boston Logan International Airport, the plane flies through a strange light, and most of the passengers and flight crew disappear, leaving behind only personal artifacts. Only those passengers who were asleep remain, and discover the predicament when they wake. Pilot Brian Engle, deadheading on the flight, takes the controls; unable to contact any other airport, he decides to land the plane at Bangor International Airport because of its long runway.
I'm not a fan of movies or books or TV episodes about time travel, time wars, time streams, time distortions, time whatever, but at least this concept is different.

trailer:



Empire Online gives it 3 out of 5 stars and calls it "Honourable, but longwinded." Entertainment Weekly says it's "slow going in spots, but it’s also a lot more fun than most TV movies." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics rating of 50%, so it looks like half like it and half don't. Take a chance.

Other works by King I've seen or read and blogged are below.

Books:

The Shining (1977)
The Gunslinger (1982)
Pet Sematary (1983)
The Drawing of the Three (1987)
The Waste Lands (1991)
The Stand (1994)
Wizard and Glass (1997)
Bag of Bones (1998)
Wolves of Calla (2003)
Susannah (2004)
Duma Key (2008)
Just After Sunset (2008)

Movies:

The Dead Zone (1983)
Children of the Corn (1984)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
The Green Mile (1999)

18 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this TV adaption 😀. I've only seen The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, which are both "must see" movies, after that his work got to scary for me ...lol 😉. Happy Friday! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realized how much of his work I'd been exposed to through the years until I searched my past posts. Those 2 movies are must-see, I agree.

      Delete
  2. I vaguely remember the Langoliers. My favorite King book is The Shining. Hated the movie with Jack Nicholson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the movie, but I agree the book is much better.

      Delete
  3. one of my husband's favorite authors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband doesn't read horror at all and hasn't read anything by King.

      Delete
  4. Stephen King is a fantastic author. I am not much for horror but I do love his non-horror stories. He has such a creative mind. His is also the most famous alumni of my college too. For all that is worth. Happy Friday evening. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have a variety of work to his credit, which I appreciate. I imagine the college is extremely proud of him :)

      Delete
  5. Until I saw Marfi's party, I had no idea The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile were by King. I've always avoided then when they came on TV, but now I think I'll watch the next time they come on (which they seem to do regularly).

    My favorites are Christine, Pet Sematary, Cujo, the Dead Zone, and The Running Man. I've never even heard of The Langoliers before, so thanks for the review and for showcasing Marfi's blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Green Mile is one of the best films, and I thought it was easy to find. I watch it whenever I come across it.

      Delete
  6. I used to spend many evenings scaring myself with the books of SK, but was never keen on the films - as often, the films don't follow the film I have in my head! Enjoy your weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movies are often quite different, aren't they! It's rare I prefer a movie over the book that inspired it. I'm having trouble remembering one....

      Delete
  7. When I found out Stephen King wrote The Shawshank Redemption my opinion of him rose up - I'm not a fan of his other books & I'm with you on any type of time travel - no, not, won't, can't ... NO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish other horror authors got as much space on the book shelves as he does lol. He seems to be more popular that any of the others.

      Delete
  8. King can come up with interesting concepts, but often no decent endings and the book kind of peters out (most of his horror stuff). When I read his book about writing I can see why. He comes up with an concept and just starts with no plan or idea where he's going with it--so it's no wonder he often kind of writes himself off a cliff and resorts to monsters or whole towns falling into the earth, etc. He has no clue how to get out of the story.

    I have really liked some of his stories which have a beginning, middle, and END--like Green Mile, Shawshank, Delores Clairborne, Stand By Me, and Dead Zone. More people and plot oriented than relying on monsters or supernatural evil forces. I'd never read or watch this one. Have learned to avoid his horror stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of the Dark Tower series he says the journey is more important than the destination, and a lot of his writing made more sense to me after that ;)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for reviewing the Langoliers, I'm intrigued by the premise. It sounds like it's worth a try even though I usually prefer his books to the movies. I recently purchase "On Writing" and am looking forward to gaining some insights into his stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a wide variety of works, hasn't he! The Stephen King birthday celebration was fun. I enjoyed "meeting" some new people :)

      Delete