Sunday, September 16, 2018

Dance, Girl, Dance

Dance, Girl, Dance is a 1940 musical film starring Maureen O'Hara, Lucille Ball, Ralph Bellamy, and Maria Ouspenskaya. Ouspenskaya is a treasure, and any movie she's in is worth watching. You can watch it online via this link.

I can't find a trailer, but here's Lucille Ball doing her version of a hula dance:




Senses of Cinema says, "Dance, Girl, Dance is a milestone in the dance film and musical" and says it "could be classed as high camp, but it has much more to offer than this implies".

The New Yorker says,
The movie lives up to its title—its subject really is dancing. Arzner films it with fascination and enthusiasm, and the choreography is marked by the point of view of the spectators and the dancers’ awareness that they’re being watched.
This film is included in the book 1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 80%. FilmReference.com has an article.

12 comments:

  1. This is a film I saw as a kid many moons ago. Enjoy your day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never even heard of it 'til I started looking for the movies listed in that 1001 Movies book.

      Delete
  2. Lucille Ball certainly was versatile and as my dad would say, she was a looker, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't she, though! Most people these days only know the comedy work she did when she was older -if that :(

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this one-but I always loved the old musicals-Lucille Ball had many talents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she did, good at whatever she put her hand to :)

      Delete
  4. Looks interesting. Not sure why she was slapping her own bottom, though--LOL! One of my favorites of hers was with Ricky--The long, long trailer. She had hit her stride by then and her comedy timing was spot on. She was quite the sepot when she was young! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hula dance by someone who has no idea what a hula dance looks like lol, but she gives 'em what they want, doesn't she.

      Delete
  5. Lucille Ball was a really talented woman, wasn't she? Oh and you asked about the plant with the red berries on my post Saturday. I don't know. I tried to look it up with no success. All they tell me about is full bushes. It might be false Solomon seal based on the leaves, but I will ask if work because one of the women I work with is much more up on her plants than I am. Have a great monday. hugs-Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx :) I never see red berries this early. They are so bright!

      Delete
  6. I love musicals and this one looks fabulous! I have added it to my watch list, thank you 😁. Have a great new week! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. Lucille Ball is such a treat in this :)

      Delete