Thursday, September 27, 2018

Marty

Marty is a 1955 award-winning film starring Ernest Borgnine as a good-natured man (he says, "I'm a fat, ugly man.") who has given up finding a wife. Tastes differ so widely that I always hesitate to call any film a must-see, but I highly recommend this one. You can rent it for about $3 here at Youtube. We bought a DVD and will be keeping it for re-watching. Ernest Borgnine is a treasure.

trailer:



Film Site describes it as "the poignant, simple character study of a lonely, unmarried, lovelorn middle-aged, 34 year old son who works as a Bronx butcher and still lives with his love-smothering mother." Variety has a glowing review. Empire Online says, "Released in an era of widescreen epics and extravagant musicals, Delbert Mann's ode to working-class life found much favour... becoming the first film to bag both the Best Picture Oscar and Cannes' Palme D'Or."

AV/Film Club says,
That this perennial bachelor earns the audience’s empathy, not its pity, is thanks largely to the man playing him: Ernest Borgnine, the late character actor and unlikely romantic lead, who cut his teeth portraying villains and scoundrels. ... it’s hard to imagine anyone besting the delicate balance of weariness and optimism Borgnine achieves here. He too won an Oscar, overcoming stiff competition from Spencer Tracy, James Cagney, Frank Sinatra, and James Dean...

Rotten Tomatoes has a critics rating of 100%.

12 comments:

  1. This is such a good film. Himself and I always use a quote from the film when we're trying to decide what we're going to do. "I don't know Marty. What do you want to do?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It strikes a chord, doesn't it lol So many of us have had that same conversation.

      Delete
  2. Well it must be an amazing performance if he, Ernest beat out Spencer, Frank or either James. I've not heard of this movie & since we put the "blue" screen film on for eye protection, all colours on the computer are really tinged yellow, not good for movie watching, but hey I have protected eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of the eye protection screen film.... I'll be researching that. I do watch a lot of movies on my computer.

      Delete
    2. f.lux is one version of the blue screen eye protection & you can set the level of "blue" protection. It has twofold basis, one research shows that blue from any device is bad for the eye, long term & since kids are on their devices morning til night ... second reason is the blue light from computers, phones, ipads & such disrupt our sleep patterns. You also can get the blue film put on your eye glasses & researchers are insisting it's a must for children ... depleted Ozone levels also another cause ... hope some of this helps.

      Delete
    3. Yes, thx! I'd never heard of this, but I do spend a lot of time on the computer....

      Delete
  3. This looks SO familiar, even though I'm not one to watch many black and white films. I sincerely believe I've seen it on Turner Network (shows movies without commercials, but I get it with my basic cable).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son't film class classmates rejected black and white films. Silents, too. They didn't think it was a watchable movie unless it had color and sound. They say them more as historical artifacts than entertainment options.

      Delete
  4. I remember this film! It was great. He was great. I'd love to see it again as it has been many decades. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen it before, but I bought the DVD for my husband as a present because it showed up on so many lists as a sweet comedy. We both liked it.

      Delete
  5. Huh. I like Ernest Borgnine but I have never seen this film. I guess all the good comments means I need to check it out. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great role for him. I'm so glad I discovered it :)

      Delete