I don't post more than once a day, but Kathy's post and her response to my comment there, and the fact that this is election day have made me decide to consider these issues here.
First, Kathy's post can be read at this link
. This is the comment I made there in response to what she wrote:
1) The Democratic Party does not want "far left socialism-communism" or to "change our constitution to their "agenda"".
2) That Joe Biden is our candidate oughta be ample proof that it's not true that "The far left and militant-terrorist groups such as antifa have taken over the Democratic Party."
3) This: "The far left has already silenced our free speech" is just not true for several reasons, the first of which is that our first amendment right to free speech doesn't give us the right to say whatever we want to on private platforms in violation of their terms of service.
4) I'm not even sure what you mean by the far left "no longer taught to love our country, flag and our history" as Democrats are every bit as patriotic as Republicans and just as interested in having us understand our history.
5) Churches aren't closed anywhere. Churches are not the buildings or the meetings but the Christians themselves. Even in states -both Republican and Democratic- where there are regulations about masks and gathering size, worship services continue. Zoom and FB Live are booming! Drive-in, open-air services were a thing some places in prettier weather. And outreach to the community in these difficult times continues. Food pantries are being stocked, aid to the sick and homeless and jobless continues. Donations for Christmas gifts for those less fortunate may well have increased. Churches are thriving in these days even as they look forward to the time when they can gather in more traditional ways.
6) The number of people across this country who want to repeal the 2nd amendment number [is] in the single digits. The Democratic party has never advanced this as a part of their platform or legislative agenda.
In conclusion I'd just like to say how much reactions like this remind me of my days campaigning for Obama during his first run when people screamed and cried in my face, tears running down their cheeks, honestly frightened, swearing we wouldn't even have a country if he were elected. They were wrong. And I'd like to encourage you that even if Biden does win, even if he's allowed to take office in a traditional and peaceful change of administration, Biden will be a president for everybody. He's encouraging us to leave aside the hate and fear and come together as the great nation we are. Know that I'm praying for you no matter which way this election goes. “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”
My decision to address this here instead of in her blog comments was made due to her response which began, "I have no response to this comment because your points show that you only listen to main stream media you are Not hearing what is really going on in this country..." I mean she did
respond 😉 but in such a patronizing way that I don't feel welcome at this point to continue the conversation there. Blogging isn't like Facebook where interactions happen in real time. I just want some things on the record here.
I numbered the points above and will letter the ones below so you can respond more easily if you'd like.
A) There's no evidence that any of this fear-mongering is based in fact. None. I'd welcome actual evidence of it, but it's just not there. The Democratic Party is not The Enemy, is not trying to repeal the 2nd Amendment, has not been taken over by radical leftists, and isn't going to cancel Christmas or take away your constitutional right to free speech. We love our country just as much as you do. Sheesh. The ignorance in these claims is mind-boggling. There's never even any attempt to provide evidence to support them except that Trump, whose lies are legion, has said so or that there's some soundbite quote lifted out of context that can be twisted into seeming to support it.
B) To think that we aren't far enough left isn't proof of some kind of nefarious plot. It's a political leaning. When Republicans say they don't think we're far enough right I don't accuse them of being Fascist.
C) Biden is not a leftist or a puppet of leftists and that Trump and his surrogates say it doesn't make it so. Biden has managed to build a coalition of support from a wide variety of political leanings from Bernie Sanders supporters to many Republicans (surely you've heard of the Lincoln Project
D) That anyone would think Biden has worked this hard to step aside for Harris is ludicrous, and if you believe it then this is me laughing
. If we're gonna start counting times politicians have misspoken then I'm not done with Trump yet. It'll be a while before I make my way that far down the political ladder to get to state-level campaign staffers.
E) Kamala Harris has not "already spoken publicly during this election how they will be collecting our guns". That's just not true. She favors reasonable gun safety laws, and you thinking they're not reasonable doesn't turn them into "collecting our guns".
F) I won't address the abortion issue at all, except to say if you can find any evidence that Harris supports abortion at 9 months (full term at 40 weeks) I'd like to see it.
G) I follow a wide range of news sources. I'd be happy to share them. I do my best to stay well-informed. That people make the assumption that because I disagree with them I'm the one in a media bubble is hilarious, especially when they tend to be sharing links to Drudge, Breitbart, Infowars and The Blaze. QAnon is also not a news source. That we don't agree doesn't make me wrong.
I'm used to talking politics on Facebook, not in blog comments. On Facebook the discussion tends to be private (friends-only), free-spirited and casual, and a short form, with many a meme and video and gif. This is different. This is public. Comments must be approved. Writings tend to be more organized and better thought out and longer. I'm not really sure how I feel about it. That said, I'm open to this discussion if anyone wants to have it.