Friday, November 27, 2020

Tight Little Stitches in a Dead Man’s Back

Tight Little Stitches in a Dead Man’s Back is a post-apocalyptic science fiction short story by Joe R. Lansdale. You can read it online here. It begins,
From the Journal of Paul Marder 
(Boom!) 
That’s a little scientist joke, and the proper way to begin this. As for the purpose of my notebook, I’m uncertain. Perhaps to organize my thoughts and not to go insane. 
No. Probably so I can read it and feel as if I’m being spoken to. Maybe neither of those reasons. It doesn’t matter. I just want to do it, and that is enough. 
What’s new? 
Well, Mr. Journal, after all these years I’ve taken up martial arts again—or at least the forms and calisthenics of Tae Kwon Do. There is no one to spar with here in the lighthouse, so the forms have to do. 
There is Mary, of course, but she keeps all her sparring verbal. And as of late, there is not even that. 
...

10 comments:

  1. ...what a title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it when the bizarre part is right out front lol

      Delete
  2. That was depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the uplifting story, but then we knew that from the title ;)

      Delete
  3. Ohhh this sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I have bookmarked the link, I like listening to stories when I'm painting or crafting. Have a good weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's different, definitely different.

      Delete
  5. If I have time, I'll read this, but it didn't push any buttons so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have to be in a certain mood...

      Delete