Friday, November 20, 2020

Tusk

Tusk is a 2014 horror film. I watched it on Netflix. This won't be one I'll ever watch again. from Wikipedia:
Best friends Wallace Bryton and Teddy Craft host the popular podcast The Not-See Party, where they find and mock humiliating viral videos. Wallace announces plans to fly to Canada to interview the Kill Bill Kid, an Internet celebrity famous for severing his leg with a samurai sword. Upon arriving in Manitoba, Wallace is surprised to learn that the Kill Bill Kid committed suicide. Upset that he flew to Canada for nothing, Wallace decides to stay an extra day and find another person to interview. He finds a handbill from someone offering a room in his home for free and the guarantee of hearing a lifetime of interesting stories. His interest piqued, Wallace arrives at the mansion of Howard Howe, a retired seaman in a wheelchair. Howard tells the story of how a walrus, whom he named "Mr. Tusk", rescued him after a shipwreck. Wallace then passes out from the secobarbital laced in the tea that Howard made for him. The next morning, Wallace wakes up...
and the horror begins. I don't like films that feature torture and don't even begin watching if I know that's what the film is like. I also don't like slasher films in general but will watch them depending on what else is involved in the movie. I've never seen anything like Tusk, which seems to fall into a category called body horror. That sub-genre is now on my never-watch list right alongside torture movies.

trailer:


Roger Ebert's site doesn't like it, saying ""Tusk" is what you'd get if you wrote a comedy inspired by both "The Human Centipede" and Roger Corman's Edgar Allan Poe adaptations." Bloody Disgusting defends it and says, "“Is man indeed a walrus at heart?” That is the question that Kevin Smith posed to audiences in 2014 with his body-horror-comedy Tusk. Apparently, no one wanted to know the answer because the film flopped in theaters."




20 comments:

  1. ...thanks for the heads up, I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bizarre and memorable, but I certainly won't watch it again.

      Delete
  2. For some reason I'd heard about this film, but I will be like Tom and pass ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll gladly pass because there are SO many good films and so little time to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many movies, so little time, you are right! My saved links to online movies alone is too long to get through.

      Delete
  4. When you say, pass. I pass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To each her own. _Some_ people liked it...

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the warning. I won't be watching this one. I do NOT watch these types of movies and I think they should be required to specify that this is what kind of movie it is. I never watched any of the "Saw" horror movies because I knew ahead of time what they were about. I think they need a new category, and movies like this one and Saw should NOT be called "horror" they should be called the new category name. When I see the label "horror" I expect something along the lines of Dracula, Frankenstein, supernatural, ghost, etc. Torture is horrible, but should not be labeled "horror" it should be labeled "torture" or "body horror" or whatever. I had no interest in seeing "The Human Centipede" when I found out what that was about, nor did I want to see "The Purge." I've turned off movies that went in the torture direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son says the first Saw movie is different and that I should give it a chance. Maybe... but probably not. Yes, I skipped Human Centipede for that reason. I skipped The Purge because I'd seen that Star Trek episode ;)

      Delete
  6. Doesn't sounds good, but of course horror is not my thing ...lol 😀. Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's horror and then there's horror. So many different types. This type isn't for me.

      Delete
  7. You know, at this time, I don’t think I could watch any horror movie, good or bad. Because right now I see horror constantly on the News, either the toddler in chief trying to overturn the vote or people still saying the virus is a hoax. Too much horror … I think I’ll have a piece of chocolate and read a good old mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, but I find the fake horror a helpful distraction from the real-life horror surrounding us. I'll be decorating for Christmas soon, so horror will have to wait 'til January. The real-life horror will continue even then as Mitch McConnel has promised an Obama-era level of obstruction.

      But I'm in with chocolate and a mystery :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds horrible, actually. Thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw part of this but didn't like it, just senseless horror, ugh! Not a film for late-night watching! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It showed some imagination, which I admired, but still...

      Delete
  10. I don't know how I have missed so many of your post. Tusk is a good one. I have watched this several times. So weird and wonderful. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't look away, but I found it horrifying. Such a tragic story :(

      Delete