Monday, September 03, 2018

Death of an Expert Witness


Death of an Expert Witness is a mystery/detective novel by P. D. James, 6th in a series featuring Adam Dalgliesh. I read these in no particular order. I like the writing and enjoy Dalgliesh. This story takes place in the Autumn.

from the back of the book:
When a young girl is found murdered in a field, the scientific examination of the crime scene is just a routine job for the staff of Hoggart's Forensic Science Laboratory. But nothing could have prepared them for the brutal death of their senior biologist, found murdered in his own laboratory. On the surface, Dr. Lorrimer had been the picture of a bloodless, coldly efficient scientist. Well respected in the scientific community, he was also an authritative figure on the witness stand. Left with countless motives to investigate, Commander Adam Dalgliesh must exhume the secrets of Dr. Lorrimer's laboratory in order to lay bare the murderous motive hidden in one himan heart.
It was adapted for television as a miniseries in 1983 with Roy Marsden as Dalgliesh. This is part 1:



and the rest of the series is available here at Youtube. Once you've tried it, you'll want to have the DVDs. I know I did.

I have read these since I began blogging:

#2 A Mind to Murder
#3 Unnatural Causes
#4 Shroud for a Nightingale
#5 The Black Tower
#7 A Taste for Death
#8 Devices and Desires
#9 Original Sin
#12 The Murder Room
#13 The Lighthouse

and An Unsuitable Job for a Woman, which features an appearance by Dalgliesh.

14 comments:

  1. Looks like a good excuse to take a break after cleaning the house today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo, perfect! I like this actor as Dalgliesh, but I've heard that James didn't and eventually got him replaced. I haven't seen the later ones with the replacement actor in them.

      Delete
  2. I love PD James books and the old movies of them. Always top notch! I haven't read one in quite awhile so since I am in a reread mode, maybe I should do a reread. :) Thank for the suggestion. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely re-readable. I'm keeping this series on my shelf :) even after getting rid of much "better" literature.

      Delete
  3. I have ALWAYS loved P.D. James. Her writing is/was fabulous. I'm SO glad you reviewed this book, so others will have a chance to experience her work, too. Thanks for the YouTube link, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the atmosphere she creates, and the characters are well-drawn. She's a treasure!

      Delete
  4. These are all books I have read and enjoyed. They televised some of them here, but I found the films very disappointing, the books were much better! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the books are better. That's usually the case, but there are sometimes I end up liking the video adaptations better.

      Delete
  5. P.D. James - what a treasure. I think I've read all the books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great writer and series of books 😁. Happy new week! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lost a lot when we lost her, and even though she was in her 90s when she died I remember being shocked at the loss.

      Delete
  7. This looks good! I have saved it to watch later. Love a good miniseries. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a good series, and I thought they did a decent job of adapting the books. I hope you like it :)

      Delete