Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Still Life With Casserole

Still Life With Casserole (1955):


by Fairfield Porter, an American painter who died on September 18, 1975 at age 68. You can read more about him here and see more of his art here and here.

I don't have a casserole dish like that and always used those clear 9x13 or 8x8 Pyrex dishes. My easiest casserole recipes from 40+ years ago when I was first learning to cook:

Tuna Casserole:

Chunk Light Tuna, packed in water -2 cans
Condensed Cream of Mushroom soup -1 can
Egg Noodles -2 cups
Bread crumbs -to taste for topping

Preheat oven to 400 F.
Cook noodles.
Place cooked noodles in the bottom of greased baking dish.
Spread tuna over noodles.
Spread soup over tuna.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Top with bread crumbs.
Cook 10 more minutes.

Green Bean Casserole:
French-style Green Beans -2 cans (16 oz each)
Sliced Water Chestnuts -1 can
Condensed Cream of Mushroom soup -1 can
French Fried Onions -to taste
Shredded Cheddar Cheese -as desired for topping

Layer in greased baking dish.
Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 F 20 minutes.
Top with cheese and bake another 10 minutes.

And Chicken Casserole:

Long-grain White Rice -1 cup, uncooked
Chicken Breasts -4-6, depending on size
Seasoning to taste -for chicken
Condensed Cream of Celery soup -1 can
Condensed Cream of Mushroom soup -1 can
Water -2 cups

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Place rice in bottom of baking dish.
Arrange seasoned chicken on rice.
Mix other ingredients and pour over chicken.
Cook 1 1/2 hours.
I don't generally cook casseroles at all any more, and these recipes don't look like they've aged well.

There's nothing in the carafe or the pitcher in this painting, but I have faith that water and wine will be on offer any minute now. Please join me at the table, and we'll enjoy those lovely flowers and visit with one another in the meantime. Please join me at the weekly T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering.

18 comments:

  1. Casseroles are comfort food and good on a cold Winter night. I haven't made casseroles in a while either, but the tuna and the chicken ones used to cycle through the menu. Sometimes the chicken was done with Stove Top stuffing in place of the rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember these recipes from childhood-my father would not eat a casserole so Mom would make these when he worked saturdays. My husband won't eat these either ha ha I always loved them.
    I love that painting-I blew it up to size and love those dishes and that casserole pot
    Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i´ll opt for the chicken casserole:) happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love casseroles. They are fast, easy and you only need one dish on the table when you have a casserole. My favorite is Chicken Divan.
    And a very beautiful painting.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a casserole dish similar to this, it's not quite as tall but it has the handles...lol 😉. Such a beautiful painting and thanks for sharing your recipes too. If the drinks are being poured soon, save a glass for me ...lol 😀. Cheers and Happy T Tuesday! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love casseroles in autumn and winter, yummy. That homely painting is wonderful. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Casserole dishes are the best comfort food in our home. Thank you for the recipes, I like the sound of the Tuna one. I make something similar using pasta and condensed Celery Soup.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful painting with the cheery yellows. I use Pyrex quite often. But our family has never been casserole or potpie fans so I'll have to pass on the recipes. Hmmm, although they do enjoy crock pot/slow cooker dishes so perhaps...:) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful still life painting, D. My hubby doesn't like casseroles so I don't cook them anymore either. But your recipes - especially the chicken one - sound yummy to me.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  10. love that you included recipes today! lol. I hardly ever make them either...just the two of us, so I cook meat and vegetables, fruit for dessert. simple seems best. Wonderful painting, thanks for sharing and Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful painting. And from an artist new to me, too. I was shocked to see that I had already shown one Fairfield Porter at Wichita Art Museum (WAM). So glad you shared this.

    I always bring a green bean casserole to functions. I substitute cream of celery soup and have never heard of adding cheese. Of course, I also only use half and half, so it's always quite decadent. Other than that, I don't make casseroles. They are all so heavy and add loads of calories I probably don't need.

    Thanks for sharing Fairfield Porter, the painting, and the casserole recipes with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some of these casserole recipes remind me of my childhood. Especially the tuna one. It was one of my mother's favorite thing to make. And I know people who still do the green bean casserole for turkey day, minus the water chestnuts. I've never had them in green beans. Now I like a good casserole-modern of vintage, but the hubby doesn't like them, so this was a fun look back down memory lane for me. Hope it was a great T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post Divers! I know i've eaten some of those dishes growing up.. In fact with your recipes i might be tempted to do it again.. hmmmm.... a blast from the past.. lol Lovely painting too.. As usual never heard of the artist... thank you for introducing me! Happy T day Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are some of my favorite recipes, too. Would you believe my husbands favorite casserole was tuna, and as a newlywed over 50 years ago, he taught me how to make it? Beautiful painting. Great Tea Day post! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. In Minnesota we would call those a hotdish. Love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post! Thanks for the recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a lovely painting. Thanks for the walk down casserole lane. I'm sure I made these back in the day. A can of that kind of soup hasn't graced my pantry shelves in years though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing those recipes. I make a lot of one pot casserole dishes - it's Mr Man's favourite way of eating, just a fork (col).

    ReplyDelete