Tuesday, August 01, 2023

Breaking the Waves

Breaking the Waves is a 1996 psychological drama film directed by Lars von Trier and starring Emily Watson in her feature film acting debut, and with Stellan Skarsgård, a frequent collaborator with von Trier. Set in the Scottish Highlands in the early 1970s, it is about a mentally unstable young woman and of the love she has for her husband. I watched it on Max as I clear out my watchlist there.

trailer:



Roger Ebert gives it a full 4-star review and concludes,
Not many movies like this get made, because not many filmmakers are so bold, angry and defiant. Like many truly spiritual films, it will offend the Pharisees. Here we have a story that forces us to take sides, to ask what really is right and wrong in a universe that seems harsh and indifferent. Is religious belief only a consolation for our inescapable destination in the grave? Or can faith give the power to triumph over death and evil? Bess knows.
Spirituality and Practice says,
Breaking the Waves comes across as a glorious paean to the mighty power of love. It provides a profound meditation on a line from "Les Miserables: "To love another person is to see the face of God."
85% of Rotten Tomatoes critics gave it a positive review, and the audience rating was even higher.

*******


Please post something drink related and join me at the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering. Mine's lemonade.

15 comments:

  1. Lemonade sounds really good in this season. Your glass is in such a pretty setting.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these days I am going to watch more movies. 😜or so I say. Lemonaid is a good summer drink for certain, although right now I could use a cup of caffeinated tea. Happy T day Nita

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a good film! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mix that lemonade with ice tea. Yum! Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good...and I found it on HBO Max--lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't seen this film but your lemonade looks refreshing!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a tough film. Lemonade, please :-) Happy T-Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. The description of the film reminds me of one I saw on PBS a few years ago. I always love visiting you on your patio and lemonade sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing this film and drink with us for T this Tuesday, dear Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lemonade is the perfect refreshment for this season. Your glass looks so inviting in that lovely setting. It's undoubtedly a fantastic summer drink. Happy T Day! Enjoy the delightful flavors and the warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like both Emily Watson and Stellan Skarsgård, that alone makes this movie a winner...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! This looks like a hard hitting film - I looked up the plot - definitely a case of what is right or wrong! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, the trailer was intense. I would like to watch it. Love your description. Also, your lemonade looks super refreshing! Happy T-day. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting reviews. I pressed the watch later button. Thanks for the mention. Lemonade definitely sounds good as it is so hot here! Happy t day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...and one lemonade for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one sounds very powerful and interesting as well. I think I'd watch this one. Lemonade -- haven't had any for awhile!

    ReplyDelete