Sunday, August 20, 2023

The Ice Storm (1997)

The Ice Storm is a 1997 American drama film directed by Ang Lee featuring an ensemble cast including Kevin Kline, Joan Allen, Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci, Elijah Wood, Katie Holmes, and Sigourney Weaver. Set during Thanksgiving 1973, the movie is about two dysfunctional New Canaan, Connecticut, upper-class families who are trying to deal with tumultuous social changes and personal and family trauma. This was hard to watch in some places -an emotional film, but I'm glad to have seen it. It is on Max.

trailer:



Deep Focus Review concludes with this:
The Ice Storm contains a deeply human authenticity and willingness to portray, but not resolve, its characters’ collective alienation. That the viewer must interpret and feel the silences between these characters establishes the ambiguous and investigatory mode of watching the film, thus challenging the viewer with prolonged consideration.

Criterion says, "Ten years after it was made, The Ice Storm looks like the best American film of the nineties." Roger Ebert gives it 4 out of 4 stars. 86% of Rotten Tomatoes critics give it a positive review.

*******
Chipmunks are a common sight on the patio.

12 comments:

  1. ...we had an ice storm in the '90s, the power was no for over a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice storms are always bad. So pretty with their sparkly shimmer. But no fun at all otherwise.

      Delete
  2. Another film that passed me by! I love those chipmunks, so sweet! Have a great day! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Checked and I watched this back in 2014, but I only remember parts of it now. I remember it as being quite emotional, though.
    I am jealous of you having chipmunks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent years trying to chase off the chipmunks. It was a hopeless cause, so I learned to love them.

      Delete
  4. I can't remember where, but I know I saw this. It was not a film I would ever want to see again. Sex, drugs, yet no rock and roll (grin). What a cute chipmunk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That movie is definitely watch without Himself. Your chippie is so cute. I love how he posed while you snapped his picture

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I've seen the movie, but it must have been 20 years and all I can remember is a depressing mood...
    Chipmunks on the patio would be a very special and delightful sight for me :-)
    All the best and have a good start into the new week!
    Traude
    🌻🌺❤️🌺🌻
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/08/drei-einem-tag-viva-frida-kahlo.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A depressing mood, yes, a good way to describe it.

      Delete