Tuesday, August 08, 2023

Masculin Feminin

Masculin Feminin is a 1966 French New Wave film directed by Jean-Luc Godard. It's considered one of Godard's greatest films, but I'm glad I watched Breathless and Alphaville first. This is a very 60s thing. Another on my Max watchlist, I guess it's a good thing I have about 10 months left on my annual subscription.

trailer:



Slant Magazine says Godard "champions a marriage between image and action, both personal and political. If American pop culture is the devil, Godard not only has sympathy for it, he also tries to navigate and empower it." FrenchFilms opens a positive review by calling it "as revelatory as it is incisive." Roger Ebert has a positive review and says, "Godard works with a bright style and a sense of humor and his pictures leave a cumulative impression." 96% of Rotten Tomatoes critics gave it a positive review.

*******


My goal of posting photos of the patio has been foiled by the gray and dreary rain. Not much rain, mind you, but enough to keep things gray and damp. We did have a visiting hawk stop by, which always provides some excitement.

10 comments:

  1. I'll pass on this one. Eyes are only up for so many subtitles and the trailer didn't grab me. So many movies so little time...but only so much print my eyes can focus on--lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many movies, so little time is exactly right. I may never even make it through the Max watchlist lol Subtitles aren't a problem for me so far.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and a visiting hawk would certainly be a bit of excitement!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're uncommon to see actually land on the patio. It's fun to see something out of the ordinary.

      Delete
  3. ...I'm familiar with New Wave music, but not films. That shouldn't be surprising. It rained here today and I took pictures of flowers, try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had grey and rain today too. A lot of rain. It was dreary day but a good one for a nap and watching the first 2 episodes of the new season of Only Murder in the BUilding. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm glad I started watching this series. I wasn't a fan after the first episode but gave it a longer chance :)

      Delete
  5. I'll pass on the movie, but really look forward to those amazing patio photos once the rain stops in your world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't watch everything even if we want to lol This rain! The storms keep moving through... We had hail today!

      Delete