Saturday, August 05, 2023

Rome, Open City

Rome, Open City is a 1945 Italian neorealist war drama film directed by Roberto Rossellini. Set in Rome in 1944, the film follows a diverse group of characters coping under the Nazi occupation, and centers on a Resistance fighter trying to escape the city with the help of a Catholic priest. The title refers to Rome being declared an open city after 14 August 1943. I watched it on Max as I clear out my watchlist on that service.

trailer:



Senses of Cinema closes with this:
Rome, Open City is probably the most celebrated and representative example of neo-realism – perhaps because of its timing, but also because the power of its mythos and melodrama is given sanction by visual and geographical claims to “authenticity” (20). Its undimmed excitement is ironically achieved by techniques – strong plotting, dramatic episodes, fast cutting (21) – which aim for a visceral response from the viewer that would be displaced in Rossellini’s later work. But the film’s real importance was never in its “objective”, unmediated, “overwhelming truth”, its “moral outrage” or its “desire to testify” (22), but in its clashing modes of realism, genre and archetype, a liberating model that would influence filmmakers worldwide.
Slant Magazine opens a positive review by calling it a "legendary cinematic achievement". The Guardian describes it as a classic and a "Thrillingly real wartime drama" Criterion calls it a "revelation, a harrowing drama about the Nazi occupation of Rome and the brave few who struggled against it" and "a shockingly authentic experience". 100% of Rotten Tomatoes critics give it a positive review.

16 comments:

  1. I saw this many years back, and it is worth seeing. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fascinating to see the films made during and right after a war and to see the differences in approach in foreign and American films.

      Delete
  2. This sounds a little like the Scarlet and the Black

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the Scarlet and the Black, but I don't remember a movie.

      Delete
  3. I'll pop it in the list but not sure when I would work up to watching a war movie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to avoid war movies. So often they are big, splashy things that seem to celebrate war. This one showed up on one of those "best" lists I'm such a sucker for.

      Delete
    2. I agree. I just ordered a war movie--Bridge of Spies--on Netflix only because it's a Tom Hanks movie I haven't seen.

      Delete
    3. It does take a lot to get me to watch a war movie, which is odd considering I don't mind war in space or war in the westerns or... lol

      Delete
  4. This could be interesting but I don't have Max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wanting to get rid of Max if I can just finish the watchlist...

      Delete
  5. ..this is even older than me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to get a free trial of Max and watch this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree it sounds great, but I also don't have Max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did the free trial meaning to drop it after that.

      Delete