Friday, August 18, 2023

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a 1977 American science fiction drama film written and directed by Steven Spielberg, starring Richard Dreyfuss, Melinda Dillon, Teri Garr, Bob Balaban, Cary Guffey, and François Truffaut. I remember when this one came out and I saw it in the theater. I loved it then, and I love it now. I found it free online somewhere but can't remember where. I have the DVD.

trailer:



The British Film Institute says, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind is the first of the new breed of science fiction film, which approaches the best in the literature". Empire Online says, "Years ahead of it's time in terms of SFX, it's a masterpiece of wide-eyed whimsy." Roger Ebert's website gives it a full 4-star review and says, "It is as good as you remember it and serves as a reminder of a time when blockbuster entertainments were still willing to show real ambition." 94% of Rotten Tomatoes critics gave it a positive review.

*******

The patio still has blooming asters, spearmint, zinnias, phlox, sosmos, coneflower, bee balm, catmint, coreopsis, black-eyed susans, pentas, abelia, honeysuckle, salvia, lantana... Some of it has gone to seed, but I don't dead-head my flowers.


22 comments:

  1. I remember this one, too! Haven't seen it since, but I would imagine it was just as fascinating. Love your patio garden!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has held up well, I think. We are patio people, you and I :)

      Delete
  2. ...thanks for showing your patio. The shade must be welcomed on a hot summer day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the shade moves further across the patio as the seasons change.

      Delete
  3. I watched this film maybe last year. I forgot how much I liked it since I hadn't seen it for a long time. And your patio is looking amazing. If I ever get to Memphis we should have a cup of tea out there-smile and grin. We could discuss all the movies that I don't know--smile and grin again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing this film years ago on VHS (yes, it was that long ago).

    I am in LOVE with your patio. I could spend hours out there every day. I would love to have something similar, but you have the ideal spot. Thank you for showing your patio. I'm loving all that greenery and color you have mastered with the pots, plants, and even a tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it in the theater when it was first released lol I speak fluent old ;)

      You have more options than I do as far as sun exposure goes.

      Delete
  5. First, Close Encounters is one of my all time favorite movies. Second, your patio and garden looks amazing. Simply beautiful. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's often forgotten, I think, when people talk about science fiction movies, but it is a classic.

      Delete
  6. This is one of my favorite movies. I want to come to your house, sit on your patio, and sip tea or iced tea (no sweet tea, please.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do iced tea, no sugar even though I'm a Southerner ;)

      Delete
  7. Wow, you won't believe it - this is a film I have actually seen! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was popular back in the day. It should get more attention now.

      Delete
  8. Your yard looks great! Lots of watering to do, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have to do some watering daily.

      Delete
  9. Your patio is gorgeous. I can't imagine keeping plants alive like that -- it's beautiful. (And I love that film.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is finding plants that'll live. If they die I just try something else lol

      Delete
  10. You've got a nice variety of flowers on the patio.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I aim at attracting the pollinators.

      Delete
  11. I saw the movies ages ago (sadly translated to German) - amazing.

    I got spearmint, too. And basil, that´s all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate a dubbed film, though sometimes I'd rather listen to the original and read subtitles.

      Delete