Thursday, August 10, 2023

Three Colours: Red

Three Colours: Red is a 1994 romantic mystery film co-written, produced and directed by Polish filmmaker Krzysztof Kieślowski. from Wikipedia: It is the final installment of the Three Colours trilogy, which examines the French Revolutionary ideals; it is preceded by Blue and White. Kieślowski had announced that this would be his final film, which proved true with the director's sudden death in 1996. Red is about fraternity, which it examines by showing characters whose lives gradually become closely interconnected, with bonds forming between two characters who appear to have little in common.

It took me forever to watch this trilogy for some reason, and I'm so happy I finally committed to it. They're definitely worth re-watching. And my Max watchlist continues to provide daily movie viewing opportunities. Someday I'll watch all in my watchlist, but that won't be anytime soon.

trailer:



Criterion calls it "an incandescent meditation on fate and chance". The Guardian has a positive review that closes with this: "The Three Colours trilogy is a highly wrought, intensely controlled and self-aware creation, high arthouse cinema of the sort that isn’t as fashionable as it was, but utterly distinctive and absorbing." 100% of Rotten Tomatoes critics give it a positive review.

*******


The asters have been a revelation, with what looks to me like completely different kinds of flowers. Anybody know anything about asters?


20 comments:

  1. Your aster looks nothing like any asters growing in this region. Be sure to collect the seeds, you just might have a new cultivar & you would get to name it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came from a seed packet, so they're just a standard mix.

      Delete
  2. I'd almost guess something else is in the mix. I can't see the leaves, but I've never seen an aster like that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's it: something else mixed in...

      Delete
  3. ...get some liquid fertilizer to green them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The potting soil had fertilizer in it. It shouldn't need more right now.

      Delete
  4. I thought asters were more Fall-ish so the colors more oranges, golds, brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting purple but not pink and not that shape of flower that the pink one has.

      Delete
  5. I am not good at making flowers 💐, sorry! But I loved the Three colours films, very well made! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that trilogy on DVD for literally decades and then watched them on Max lol

      Delete
  6. I've not heard of this movie. Thx for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make for an interesting trilogy work.

      Delete
  7. The film sounds interesting. But not as interesting as those asters! I wonder what's going on there -- I know nothing about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asters must have more variety than I had realized...

      Delete
  8. I am no help at all with the asters. They are pretty, whatever they are. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're standing up well under all this rain, too.

      Delete
  9. You are such a tease. You show those flowers, but not much else from your amazing patio. All I know are roses and peonies. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know nothing! Biology is an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete