Friday, August 04, 2023

An Autumn Afternoon

An Autumn Afternoon is a 1962 Japanese drama film directed by Yasujirō Ozu and is considered one of his greatest films. It was his last, and he died the year after its release. This is another from my Max watchist.

via YouTube:



The British Film Institute says, "Exquisitely moving and truthful, An Autumn Afternoon is a fitting end to the great career of Yasujiro Ozu." Criterion closes with this: "There’s no sentimentality, only profound compassion." The Guardian calls it "equisitely tender". Roger Ebert has it on his list of Great Movies. 95% of Rotten Tomatoes critics give it a positive review.

*******

This purple coneflower volunteered in the coreropsis pot:

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful flowers! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coneflowers are great flowers. Yours looks pretty Nita. Happy FRiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish they'd spread faster...

      Delete
  3. Pretty coneflower! And another addition to my list on HBOMax--lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I whittle down that list I add more to it lol

      Delete
  4. the movie looks familiar. The cone flower is very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when blooms volunteer themselves to another location -- like a surprise gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'll move this one to its own pot in the fall.

      Delete
  6. ...it's good to have volunteers, particularly in the Volunteer State..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed :) and glad I didn't mistake it for a weed.

      Delete
  7. The flower is a beauty. I will look for this movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ozu is a director worth looking for.

      Delete
  8. Didn't realize how far behind I got. That cone flower goes so well with the other flowers in the pot. You have a lovely potted garden.

    ReplyDelete