Thursday, August 31, 2023

Lost in Translation

Lost in Translation is a 2003 genre-defying comedy-drama film with Bill Murray starring as a fading American movie star in Tokyo to do ads for Suntory whisky. There, he befriends another estranged American, a young woman and recent college graduate played by Scarlett Johansson. The film explores themes of alienation and disconnection against a backdrop of cultural displacement in Japan. I remember when this came out but had never seen it as it struck me as a movie I couldn't possibly like. I was encouraged to give it a chance, and I'm glad I did. Delightful. It would reward re-watching. I saw it on Netflix.

trailer:



Roger Ebert has it on his list of Great Movies. 95% of Rotten Tomatoes critics give it a positive review.

*******


Today is the last day of summer -meteorological summer- and the flowers are just barely hanging on.


19 comments:

  1. Yes! Defies a genre slot. Better than I expected, too. Saw this years ago--Netflix DVD, of course. End of September no more DVDs from Netflix. I will miss them. That's been where I could get the earliest releases. Oh well. They usually show up elsewhere eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did the DVD thing with them. I do enjoy the streaming services, even though we have to wait...

      Delete
    2. Also used to be the place I could find older movies and even the black and white ones--but I can find those even on YouTube now. So, I probably won't miss them that much. Just miss the red envelopes--lol!

      Delete
  2. ...summer's heat does a job on flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the end of August they're fading away.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love both actors!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this film, but I do like Bill Murray. My herbs are either dying or just barely hanging on, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely lost my Greek oregano this year :(

      Delete
  5. This is a good film -- so well directed and acted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the movie a few years ago, but can hardly remember it. Might be time to see it again.
    Have a good start to September!
    Traude
    🌻🌺❤️🌺🌻
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/08/die-tiere-vom-tiergarten-schonbrunn.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I saw that movie, but can't remember much about it. Hang on Black-Eyed Susans, we still have 22 days of Summer to hang on to. πŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In your dreams lol We're having lows in the 60s, faded summer flowers, and the end of the hottest days with the end of August. Weather-wise summer is over.

      Delete
  8. I liked this film, but I remember having to watch it a couple of times. I don't know if I'd give it a 95% though. And your flowers look very much like mine. I don't know where summer went to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 95% of the critics gave it a positive review on an up or down. They didn't grade them on a scale, just positive or negative.

      Delete
  9. Goodness 2003! It doesn't seem possible!
    The flowers are just about hanging on ... Autumn is just around the corner :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete