Monday, December 10, 2018

The Fir Tree

The Fir Tree is an 1844 short story by Hans Christian Andersen. I imagine everyone is familiar with this tale of the little fir tree so completely focused on the future that the present is lost to it. You can read it online here. It begins,
Out in the woods stood such a pretty little fir tree. It grew in a good place, where it had plenty of sun and plenty of fresh air. Around it stood many tall comrades, both fir trees and pines.

The little fir tree was in a headlong hurry to grow up. It didn't care a thing for the warm sunshine, or the fresh air, and it took no interest in the peasant children who ran about chattering when they came to pick strawberries or raspberries. Often when the children had picked their pails full, or had gathered long strings of berries threaded on straws, they would sit down to rest near the little fir. "Oh, isn't it a nice little tree?" they would say. "It's the baby of the woods." The little tree didn't like their remarks at all.

Next year it shot up a long joint of new growth, and the following year another joint, still longer. You can always tell how old a fir tree is by counting the number of joints it has.

"I wish I were a grown-up tree, like my comrades," the little tree sighed. "Then I could stretch out my branches and see from my top what the world is like. The birds would make me their nesting place, and when the wind blew I could bow back and forth with all the great trees."

It took no pleasure in the sunshine, nor in the birds. The glowing clouds, that sailed overhead at sunrise and sunset, meant nothing to it.
You can listen to a Librivox recording of the story:

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know this lovely, Andersen tale and read it. Seems we're always in a rush to grow up, or be somewhere, or do something, that we aren't mindful of where we are and the things we are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember the phrase "Be here now" from my youth, and that's helpful to keep in mind.

      Delete
  2. I had never heard of this, dear. I'm glad you shared it with us. I'm off to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realized how many people didn't know this story. Glad I could share :)

      Delete
  3. I remember reading this many many many years ago. I think I should reread it. I still have my childhood book of Hans Christian Andersen tales. Maybe it's time to revisit some of those classic stories. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going back to some of our childhood favorites is fun :) I still have some of my old books, too :)

      Delete
  4. It's a beautiful tale, and I don't think I read it before. Thanks. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I could introduce some people to this story :)

      Delete
  5. I love to read stories to kids that have something to talk about afterwards. Tales that leave you with something to think about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one does all that, doesn't it! It can be easy to lose the present grasping for a future that'll never come.

      Delete