Friday, December 21, 2018

The Ref

The Ref is a 1994 black comedy, chosen because I'm looking to add some variety to my holiday viewing. It was fine enough but won't make it onto the watch-every-year list.

trailer:



The New York Times opens a positive review with this:
Set on Christmas Eve, "The Ref" evokes a familiar kind of holiday feeling: the high anxiety and claustrophobia of spending a long dinner with feuding relatives. The plot sounds hopeless, but the film is handled with gleeful irreverence, dark wit and cynicism.
Rolling Stone concludes, "The script is crass; the actors never. They keep The Ref from going down for the count." Roger Ebert gives it 3 stars and calls it "fun". Rotten Tomatoes has an audience rating of 73%.

12 comments:

  1. Can't say the trailer piqued my curiosity, but variety makes horse racing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was tiring of the same-old and looking for something new to me. There's more out there than I realized.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like fun! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I'm looking for non-sweet, non-romcom Christmas fare ;) This qualifies lol

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you are expanding your Christmas horizons. This sounds irreverent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needed to be done ;) Irreverent maybe, but gleeful lol

      Delete
  4. I remember this one! Funny and weird--bit of a twist on what one would expect. I enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember it from when it came out, and I don't usually see it when I look for Christmas movie lists, but it's a good change of pace :)

      Delete
  5. I love how you find festive movies that are not sugar coated, very refreshing 😁. Thanks for sharing and wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sugar gets to be a bit much for me after a while, and something with a bit of an edge is called for lol

      Delete
  6. I like this movie. It’s different. But fun. It is on my Xmas movie list but haven’t rewatched it again this year. Hugs Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Different" is what I was after, and this fits the bill nicely :)

      Delete