Sunday, December 02, 2018

The Elves and the Shoemaker


I can't say I've ever thought of The Elves and the Shoemaker as a Christmas story, but there it is in black and white: "Now it befell that one evening not long before Christmas...". You can read this Grimms brothers tale online, including here and here. It begins,
A shoemaker, by no fault of his own, had become so poor that at last he had nothing left but leather for one pair of shoes. So in the evening, he cut out the shoes which he wished to begin to make the next morning, and as he had a good conscience, he lay down quietly in his bed, commended himself to God, and fell asleep. In the morning, after he had said his prayers, and was just going to sit down to work, the two shoes stood quite finished on his table. He was astounded, and knew not what to say to it. He took the shoes in his hands to observe them closer, and they were so neatly made that there was not one bad stitch in them, just as if they were intended as a masterpiece. Soon after, a buyer came in, and as the shoes pleased him so well, he paid more for them than was customary, and, with the money, the shoemaker was able to purchase leather for two pairs of shoes. He cut them out at night, and next morning was about to set to work with fresh courage; but he had no need to do so, for, when he got up, they were already made, and buyers also were not wanting, who gave him money enough to buy leather for four pairs of shoes. The following morning, too, he found the four pairs made; and so it went on constantly, what he cut out in the evening was finished by the morning, so that he soon had his honest independence again, and at last became a wealthy man. Now it befell that one evening not long before Christmas, when the man had been cutting out, he said to his wife, before going to bed, "What think you if we were to stay up to-night to see who it is that lends us this helping hand?"
Here's the edition of this story I had growing up:

12 comments:

  1. I always liked this story, but never realized it was a Christmas tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had just never noticed the Christmas connection until I found it on a list of stories for the season. I was surprised!

      Delete
  2. I've never read this Grimm's tale before, so I'm off to read it now. I wonder if the opening reference to Christmas makes it a Christmas tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've edited the post to include a photo of the edition of this book I had when I was growing up. I assume any movie or story that includes any reference to Christmas is a Christmas story lol

      Delete
  3. I guess I still don't really think of it as a holiday classic, but I guess elves go with santa so someone got inspired to make it a holiday tale. Happy new week and new month my friend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a holiday classic, I agree with you, but I take my holiday hat tips wherever I find them ;)

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a great story! Have a good week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave a chuckle to your last comment, about being included as a Christmas story because of the one line reference to the time. The reason I chuckle is one of my sisters includes the Bruce Willis Die Hard movies as her "traditional" Christmas movies because they happen at Christmas. So many of the Grimm tales are just that ... I think most of us go with the Disney versions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Die Hard is a Christmas movie lol! Every time we see a Christmas scene in a movie we start calling it a Christmas film. It certainly expands the number of holiday watching options ;)

      Delete
  6. I read the other stories, too, in the first link, of course. Brings me back to reading the complete original Grimm's fairy tale book when I was a kid. They are dark, for sure, but they have lessons and morals to be absorbed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved the Grimms tales but never thought of this story as one of those. This was lighter than I think of the Grimms stories being.

      Delete