Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The O Antiphons

The O Antiphons are traditionally used during the last seven days of Advent, of which this is the second. Each of the antiphons is a name of Christ, one of his attributes as mentioned in Scripture. Today's is O Adonai, or O Lord. In English:
O Adonai, and leader of the House of Israel,
who appeared to Moses in the fire of the burning bush
and gave him the law on Sinai:
Come and redeem us with an outstretched arm.
Here it is chanted in Latin:



I find these kinds of chants peaceful, and have several on my Spotify Christmas playlist. Christmas isn't all about the hustle and bustle and decoration and secular Christmas songs. For those of us who celebrate the birth of Christ at this time of year there are religious traditions, too, even if we've let some of those drop out of our practice over time. If you'd like to add these to your Advent devotions on these days, here are the English words and the dates they're attached to:

December 17: O Sapientia (O Wisdom)
O Wisdom, coming forth from the mouth of the Most High,
reaching from one end to the other,
mightily and sweetly ordering all things:
Come and teach us the way of prudence.

December 18: O Adonai (O Lord)
O Adonai, and leader of the House of Israel,
who appeared to Moses in the fire of the burning bush
and gave him the law on Sinai:
Come and redeem us with an outstretched arm.

December 19: O Radix Jesse (O Root of Jesse)
O Root of Jesse, standing as a sign among the peoples;
before you kings will shut their mouths,
to you the nations will make their prayer:
Come and deliver us, and delay no longer.

December 20: O Clavis David (O Key of David)
O Key of David and sceptre of the House of Israel;
you open and no one can shut;
you shut and no one can open:
Come and lead the prisoners from the prison house,
those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death.

December 21: O Oriens (O Dayspring)
O Morning Star,
splendour of light eternal and sun of righteousness:
Come and enlighten those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death.

December 22: O Rex Gentium (O King of the Nations)
O King of the nations, and their desire,
the cornerstone making both one:
Come and save the human race,
which you fashioned from clay.

December 23: O Emmanuel (O With Us is God)
O Emmanuel, our king and our lawgiver,
the hope of the nations and their Saviour:
Come and save us, O Lord our God.
If this isn't your cup of tea -and let's be honest, it's not everybody's cup of tea- I offer you, yes, you guessed it:


a cup of tea. Enjoy your winter celebration, whatever your focus during these days. Please join me at this week's T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering where we share posts that include a drink.

21 comments:

  1. Such a fabulous post, you have captured the magic of the festive season beautifully with the antiphons and that's such a happy Christmas mug! That cookie looks delicious too - perfect 😁. Wishing you a happy T Day and a very Merry Christmas too! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy Gregorian chant and find it to be soothing and meditative. Your snowman mug made me smile, and Constant Comment was my mother's-in-law favorite blend. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfamiliar but absolutely lovely. I'm off to see if I can download some Gregorian chants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, this is really a lovely post-thank you-and I am not familiar with these chants
    Loving your snowman mug! Happy T and Merry Christmas Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you will love Aldi especially around the different holidays that is the one store I am going to miss once we move-check out their wine for sure-I love that store-lots from Germany and I bought ground bison last time I was there

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to it :) There is one in town but further away than I like to go for groceries. It's moving closer to me, and I'm excited after hearing about how much they have to offer :)

      Delete
  5. A wonderful post! That yookie and mug looks so festive! Happy T-Day and Merry Christmas to you and the family! Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Gregorian chants and often listen to them. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard these Gregorian chants, but they are lovely. I especially LOVE your cup of tea and your
    Santa's mitten cookie. Thanks for sharing these with us for T this Tuesday, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're an amazing font of knowledge, D. We still sing Gregorian chant in my church and especially at this time of year. But I'd never heard of the O Antiphons.

    For me, Jesus is the reason for the season.

    Happy T-day and Christmas Blessings! Eileen xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The verses to this chant are gorgeous! I love Gregorian chants and have several cd's. I used to listen to them all the time in collage while studying. They create the most serene atmosphere. Thank you for sharing this. I will have to listen to more of these videos.
    Happy Tea Day and Merry Christmas,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely post, I do like Gregorian chanting, it is so calming.
    The snowman mug is really festive.
    Happy T day and Christmas wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I follow a blog, A Clerk of Oxford, about medieval English literature (my college major) and she blogged about the Anglo-Saxons O Antiphons. I thought you might be interested: https://aclerkofoxford.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-anglo-saxon-o-antiphons-o-beautiful.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a look at that blog and have subscribed to their feed. Thx! They're fascinating, and I'm enjoying reading through previous posts :)

      Delete
  12. Anonymous5:00 PM

    The O Antiphons are so rich in their depth, I deeply lament not finding a way to make use of them in my planning...
    One of my favorite mugs!
    --A Pal

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a fascinating post. I enjoy chants but didn't know this story connected with them. And I also love your fun snowman mug filled with tea. This holiday has so many opposite things about it, but I guess it is nice it can fit into so many people's different lives. Hope it was a great T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never known what they were saying in the Georgian chants but I have always loved them! First heard of them in the 80s or early 90s and had cassette tapes of them.

    I am also fascinated by the Tibetan throat singers. They aren't as elegant sounding but it can be quite hypnotic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The chanting is wonderful! Thank you for sharing these.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do like the Gregorian chants & have a couple CDs of such. Sometimes when I cannot sleep I listen to them. I agree calming. Thanks for sharing the words. Oh yes to the Christmas mug ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for publishing the chant and providing the sound too. Merry Christmas! I won't be here next week, as our home will be full of family! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love listening to chants - they do have a calming effect! Would it be OK to have coffee in that cheery mug please? Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete