Sunday, December 16, 2018

A Carol for Another Christmas

A Carol for Another Christmas is a 1964 television movie. Wikipedia says it's
scripted by Rod Serling as a modernization of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol and a plea for global cooperation. It was the first in a planned series of television specials developed to promote the United Nations and educate viewers about its mission.
It is directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz and is the only television program he ever directed. It stars Britt Ekland, Ben Gazzara, Sterling Hayden, Steve Lawrence, Eva Marie Saint, and Peter Sellers. It was politically relevant then; sadly, it's politically relevant now.

via Youtube:

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:54 AM

    You know...I saw this on TV as a kid! I had completely forgotten it. Serling does show through...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember it from its release. Serling's influence does indeed show through, I agree

      Delete
  2. That is an impressive cast. I bet it was enjoyable, and different from the regular. I was listening to a piece on writing Christmas hit songs and they said how hard it is (now) to come up with one because you need to be Christmas but you need to be unique too. I bet the same is true for TV shows and movies too. Happy Sunday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to some of the new Christmas lyrics it looks like sadness and angst are popular lol I prefer more cheer. I imagine adapting A Christmas Carol is easier than scripting a "new" Christmas idea. It must be hard.

      Delete
  3. This is impressive! Wow!
    Big hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They modernized it for a purpose :)

      Delete
  4. I will definitely have to watch this one, since I know nothing about the UN, except we (the U.S.) are members.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a powerful history. There are problems, of course, but there has to be a way for nations to work together.

      Delete
  5. I remember this one vaguely from way back when - thanks for sharing, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen it 'til this year, but I was glad to come across it.

      Delete