Monday, December 17, 2018

The Festival

photo from Amazon.com

The Festival is a 1923 short story by H.P. Lovecraft. You can read it online here or here. It begins,
I was far from home, and the spell of the eastern sea was upon me. In the twilight I heard it pounding on the rocks, and I knew it lay just over the hill where the twisting willows writhed against the clearing sky and the first stars of evening. And because my fathers had called me to the old town beyond, I pushed on through the shallow, new-fallen snow along the road that soared lonely up to where Aldebaran twinkled among the trees; on toward the very ancient town I had never seen but often dreamed of.

It was the Yuletide, that men call Christmas though they know in their hearts it is older than Bethlehem and Babylon, older than Memphis and mankind. It was the Yuletide, and I had come at last to the ancient sea town where my people had dwelt and kept festival in the elder time when festival was forbidden; where also they had commanded their sons to keep festival once every century, that the memory of primal secrets might not be forgotten. Mine were an old people, and were old even when this land was settled three hundred years before. And they were strange, because they had come as dark furtive folk from opiate southern gardens of orchids, and spoken another tongue before they learnt the tongue of the blue-eyed fishers. And now they were scattered, and shared only the rituals of mysteries that none living could understand. I was the only one who came back that night to the old fishing town as legend bade, for only the poor and the lonely remember.
You can listen while the story is read to you:


8 comments:

  1. Oh I do like this person's writing ... I've said it before, but you find the most interesting movies & books. I know that Christmas is based around some of the old festivals, ones that honour Mother Earth a lot more than we do now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovecraft is worth reading. He had his own mythology that's truly weird. I had a campaign meme I've shared during election seasons that says: "Cthulhu: Why vote for the lesser evil?" lol

      Delete
  2. I'll listen to this after I finish lettering some envelopes. I don't think I've read any Lovecraft though I know I downloaded some free e-books. I have heard of Cthulhu, I think from the Young One, and love the political meme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are Cthulhu parodies of religious tracts, too, for those of us who enjoy parodies and send-ups ;)

      Delete
  3. This sounds really unique. It's not A Christmas Carol, but I guess there are only so many of those in existence. You find the most impressive list of Christmas tales, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with each day until Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seasonal without being Christmas-related ;) I don't think there's an end to "A Christmas Carol" lol Every time I think I've seen them all there's another one!

      Delete
  4. I feel Grinchy. I need more murder and mayhem! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a break from sweetness-and-light is called for lol

      Delete