Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Happy Birthday, Brenda Lee!

Brenda Lee is celebrating her 73rd birthday today, and in honor of her and of the season I give you what has become a Christmas standard:



Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree came out in 1958, and although I don't remember that, I hear this song every year and keep it on my playlist. Lee was 13 years old when she recorded it. She's also known for I'm Sorry, which came out in 1960 when she was 15:

:

Losing You came out in 1963:



Johnny One Time from 1969:



She was born in Georgia, and the Georgia Encyclopedia site says, "She is a member of both the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the only female to be so honored." She currently lives in Nashville, TN, with her husband of over 50 years and continues to be active.

As today is Tuesday and I enjoy participating in the weekly T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering where we include a drink in our post, I offer Hallelujah I Love You So (1984) which she sings as a duet with George Jones:



lyrics excerpt:
Let me tell you 'bout a girl I know
She is my baby and she lives next door
Every mornin' 'fore the sun comes up
She brings me coffee in my favorite cup
That's why I know, yes, I know
Hallelujah, I just love her so








19 comments:

  1. Ah, Brenda Lee. She had such a distinctive voice.Good tunes. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember listening to her songs as my parents played her music albums quite a bit:) Glad to hear she is doing well to this day. happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these songs, she has such an amazing voice! Thanks for sharing, I so enjoyed listening to them 😁. Wishing you a happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear she is still going strong, but I am not a fan, sorry! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post-I always enjoyed her music thanks for sharing
    Happy T hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of her, but I am familiar with the Christmas tree song. She sure has a unique voice and has apparently been quite gifted from an early age.

    Thanks for sharing thes, as well as the duet with the coffee reference with us for T this Tuesday.


    ReplyDelete
  7. She has a great voice and I remember those songs very well.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness! You found another coffee lyric. I remember her and the songs you listed. I never knew she started at such an early age. Her records didn't make it into my collection, maybe more "country" that I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very unusual and one of a kind voice. Love this Christmas song.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just heard that song today on the radio - at least this one of the oldies that isn't under attack. WOW 15 years old to start her long recording life. Happy Birthday Brenda Lee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:38 PM

    I had no idea she was just 13 when she recorded "Rockin' Around..." Extraordinary!
    --A Pal

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remembered all of these songs except the last later one because My mom loved music and would sing along to the radio. I knew the last song but am not sure if it was their version or not. The one I remember the most of hers as All Alone Am I--so I had to go find that on youtube--LOL! Happy Birthday to Brenda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that Brenda Lee song! It is a classic. She's a great singer. I guess she lost interest in performing, or if she still does, I haven't heard anything from her. I hope she had a super birthday and I hope you had a great T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoy the song Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree. have heard it many times over, as my daughter is a music teacher and it is one of the standards that the kids often sing! Have never heard that George Jones song before but it's fun, and seems more rock 'n roll than country. thanks for sharing music with us for T!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, that brings back memories! Yes, I remember the 60s songs very well. I never realised she was that young when she recorded those songs. I don't know any of her later songs and have often wondered what had became of her. I'm glad she is still going strong.
    Belated happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pleased to hear she is still going well I used to love her records

    A bit late so hope your T Day went well

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love Brenda Lee! Rocking around the Clock is one of my favorite non religious Christmas songs. Thanks for the fun post. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to be so late to tea. The winter holiday time is always crazy busy for my business. Better late then never ;-)

    What memories you evoked today, D. I'm glad she's still active and going strong.

    Belated Happy T-Day! Eileen xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used to love Brenda Lee, or rather still love to listen to Brenda Lee!!! A very belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete