Monday, December 31, 2018

Kiss of Death (1947)

Kiss of Death is an award-nominated 1947 noir film starring Victor Mature, Brian Donlevy, Coleen Gray, and Richard Widmark. This was Widmark's film debut. It begins on Christmas Eve.

via Youtube:



The New York Times calls it "a pip of a melodrama" and calls this role "Victor Mature's best character".

DVD Talk says, "the whole cast -including Karl Malden in a billed bit part- does strong work here" and closes with this: "a film noir classic. Richard Widmark's gleeful psychopath is iconic and unforgettable, while Victor Mature's soulful lead performance proves he was more than just a handsome beefcake. Highly Recommended." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics rating of 86%.

12 comments:

  1. One of my favorites. I just love Richard Widmark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor Mature, now that's an actor I haven't seen in a while! It sounds like a great film too, the plot sounds full of suspense - perfect 😁. Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it until I came across it on some list somewhere. Mature was 86 when he died back in 1999, and his last theater film was in 1979. I hadn't realized his active years ended so long ago! His last role was, appropriately enough, in the 1984 tv movie Samson and Delilah.

      Delete
  3. A great film and fantastic actors. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Karl Malden so I need to check out this film. If I've seen it before it doesn't ring a bell. Wishing you a fantastic 2019 filled with lots of love, peace and happiness. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen it before but am glad I found it :)

      Delete
  5. I wish I had time to watch this, but you can probably tell, I'm running far behind right now. See you for T, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a busy day for you :) but the video will probably be around a while if you wanna save it for later :) I'm headed over for T now, while I'm watching the Rose Bowl parade :)

      Delete
  6. I have always liked a bad guy turned good story. With all the shooting they both lived--LOL! Now that has changed in today's movies. At least I assume he lived and she meant she got him for more than that short while--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm assuming he survived, and I'm not sure how I feel about this happy ending lol

      Delete