Monday, March 06, 2023

The Wife's Story

The Wife's Story is a short story by Ursula K Le Guin. You can read it online here or listen to it read to you at the bottom of this post. It begins,
He was a good husband, a good father. I don’t understand it. I don’t believe in it. I don’t believe that it happened. I saw it happen but it isn’t true. It can’t be. He was always gentle. If you’d have seen him playing with the children, anybody who saw him with the children would have known that there wasn’t any bad in him, not one mean bone. When I first met him he was still living with his mother, over near Spring Lake, and I used to see them together, the mother and the sons, and think that any young fellow that was that nice with his family must be one worth knowing.
*******



20 comments:

  1. ...many people have multiple sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was interesting & weird at the same time. No spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know many people who have read everything by this author, and yet I've read nothing that I can remember. I think I'll use the next 15 minutes to listen to the audio version you linked up Nita. Have a great start to the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. She's worth seeking out.

      Delete
  4. That was a different take on the theme. I didn't expect that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good, I have bookmarked it! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny! The story turns on you in such an interesting way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure find them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found her in elementary school. I enjoy reading her.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deleted the comment because of the spoiler ;)

      Delete
    2. At least you know I listened to it (grin).

      Delete
    3. I mean it's not like people read comments much, but... The story did surprise me.

      Delete
  9. That’s a totally intriguing beginning! I will have to read it. LeGuin is one of the SciFi / Fantasy authors I like.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete