Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Three Colors: Blue

Blue is the award-winning first film in the Three Colors trio of films themed on the French Revolutionary ideals of liberty, equality, and fraternity. According to director Kieślowski, the subject of the film is liberty, specifically emotional liberty, rather than its social or political meaning. Set in Paris, the film is about a woman whose husband and child are killed in a car accident. Suddenly set free from her familial bonds, she attempts to cut herself off from everything and live in isolation from her former ties, but finds that she cannot free herself from human connections. The film is a masterpiece, and I regret not having seen it before now. I watched it on HBO Max, though I have all three films on DVD.

trailer:



Criterion says, "Juliette Binoche gives a tour de force performance as Julie, a woman reeling from the tragic death of her husband and young daughter." Empire Online concludes, "This superb French arthouse modern classic still beguiles." Roger Ebert has it on his list of Great Movies. Rotten Tomtatoes has a critics consensus score of 98%.

There are several coffee-related scenes in the film, but I've removed the screenshot.

Please share your own drink-related post and join us at the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering.

17 comments:

  1. Looked this one up, too. Rented it from Netflix DVDs in 2006 and gave it five stars! I would watch it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...blue, is more than colors

    ReplyDelete
  3. The editing in this trailer is incredible. I can only imagine how that would translate to the entire film. Thanks for sharing this trailer and your drink share with us for T this Tuesday, dear Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really good movie thank you for the share-I don't watch many movies so not familiar with most Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fascinating. If I ever get HBO max I'll check this out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very... sad. Oh, too sad for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Juliette Binoche . I'll have to check out these movies. Thanks Divers! Have you seen her in Chocolat? Happy t day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see this film. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great trailer and I love theat sugar cube shot - so perfect for T-day. Happy T-day and hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Himself is going out tomorrow. So instead of housework, I'll check out this film. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds interesting but we don't have any streaming services or cable.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of a 3 colors trilogy based on the flag. It's a really clever idea. I hope you had a great T day, and enjoy that spring weather. I'm definitely jealous! hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  13. You asked about the hack on the linky. Spam, yes. Malicious, no.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to see this film as well. Great screenshot. Have a very nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You sure introduce me to a lot of different kinds of films than I watch. Thank you. Happy belated t day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't take sugar, but I do like the sugar cube photograph ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw these movies a long time ago, thanks for the reminder. Good movies, Sorry for the late visit, I'm really struggling with the cold at the moment. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete