Friday, March 10, 2023

Affliction (1997)

Affliction is a 1997 drama film I watched because James Coburn is in it. Coburn won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his work here. Based on the 1989 novel of the same name by Russell Banks, the film also stars Nick Nolte, Sissy Spacek, and Willem Dafoe. Just pause a moment and consider that cast. How can you not watch it?! It's available free on Tubi or on Freevee.

trailer:



Roger Ebert gives it a full four stars, particularly noting "Nolte and Coburn are magnificent in this film". Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 88%.

18 comments:

  1. ...we all have our own special afflictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess, but sometimes I think some folks lead charmed lives.

      Delete
  2. You're right -- a great cast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James Coburn especially is a treasure.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry, but I have never heard of James Coburn! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear! He's got a lot of talent and a real presence on-screen.

      Delete
  4. I'll take a look at it because of Nick Nolte

    ReplyDelete
  5. This had to be made before that because I rented it on DVD in 2013 and they were so young. Yes, came out in 1997. Quite a cast, yes. Would be a good one to rewatch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corrected, thanks. Where'd I get that wrong year? :(

      Delete
  6. Certainly a good cast.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great cast, but I don't think I've seen this film. Hope it was a good FRiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunny here but chilly. I stayed home :)

      Delete
  8. I agree... how can you not watch it with that cast? And it's free!! I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll look for it on Freevee, my favorite streaming service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can add that free Tubi app on Roku. It offers a lot, and totally free.

      Delete