Monday, March 20, 2023

Wanda

Wanda is a 1970 award-winning American independent drama film written and directed by Barbara Loden, who also stars. Set in the anthracite coal region of eastern Pennsylvania, the film focuses on an apathetic woman with limited options who inadvertently goes on the run with a bank robber. This is definitely re-watchable.

The director died of breast cancer in 1980 at age 48. Wanda is her only feature-length film as director.

I watched it on HBO Max.

via YouTube:

NPR concludes, "Unable to find backing for another film — [the director] wanted to adapt Kate Chopin's The Awakening — Loden died of cancer at age 48. But her legend continues to grow. On the basis of a single movie, posterity has made her a symbol of all the women filmmakers who might have had great careers but never really got the chance." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 92%.

18 comments:

  1. I think Sarah Polley, of recent fame for her Oscar for Women Talking, has mentioned this director. One wonders what Barbara would have accomplished had her life not been cut short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a shame she didn't have more time.

      Delete
  2. ...sounds like a bleak story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really bleak, I didn't think. You can see how her life ends up how it does. Her apathy, her small world, limit her choices.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, might be worth a look see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a powerful look at a different kind of life.

      Delete
  4. Dying at 48 of breast cancer is way too young. I'm glad she had this one movie that is so highly thought of. Happy first day of spring to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've been in Spring since March 1st ;) but I'm observing the equinox :)

      Delete
  5. It's a shame she died and so early -- it sounds like she had a great deal to offer the world of cinema.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad that she died so young! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a film I know ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this sounds like something I would enjoy. Elizabeth paired us for the exchange. I will email you my info. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun that she paired me with one of the T Tuesday participants that I'm Facebook friends with :)

      Delete
  9. I have it on my HBO "my stuff" now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think! I hope you like it.

      Delete