Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Désirée’s Baby

Désirée’s Baby is an 1893 short story by Kate Chopin. You can read it online here or here or have it read to you at the bottom of this post. It begins,
As the day was pleasant, Madame Valmondé drove over to L’Abri to see Désirée and the baby.

It made her laugh to think of Désirée with a baby. Why, it seemed but yesterday that Désirée was little more than a baby herself; when Monsieur in riding through the gateway of Valmondé had found her lying asleep in the shadow of the big stone pillar.

The little one awoke in his arms and began to cry for “Dada.” That was as much as she could do or say. Some people thought she might have strayed there of her own accord, for she was of the toddling age. The prevailing belief was that she had been purposely left by a party of Texans, whose canvas-covered wagon, late in the day, had crossed the ferry that Coton Maïs kept, just below the plantation. In time Madame Valmondé abandoned every speculation but the one that Désirée had been sent to her by a beneficent Providence to be the child of her affection, seeing that she was without child of the flesh. For the girl grew to be beautiful and gentle, affectionate and sincere, —the idol of Valmondé.

*******


10 comments:

  1. ...a bit before my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Kate Chopin. I haven't read anything by her lately, so when I get some time I think I'll pull of a book of her short stories I have. Have a great middle of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How tragic and yet how true to the times...and, sadly, still survives in pockets of still living hatred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange that we can't seem to outgrow it :(

      Delete
  4. Désirée was my stripper name.... Seems like a long time ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the first time I heard that name. I was in French class, and it sounded so exotic.

      Delete
  5. I think I will enjoy listening to this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete