Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Blue Velvet

Blue Velvet is a 1986 neo-noir mystery thriller film directed by David Lynch and starring Kyle MacLachlan, Isabella Rossellini, Dennis Hopper, Laura Dern, Hope Lange, George Dickerson, and Dean Stockwell. This is one of those films that shows up on lists of important films and that I never wanted to watch but wanted to have already seen. I had heard just enough about it to turn me off while hearing enough about it to feel like I should see it. I watched it on HBO Max. I'm glad I did. I should've watched it much sooner.

trailer:

Criterion says, "With intense performances and hauntingly powerful scenes and images, Blue Velvet is an unforgettable vision of innocence lost, and one of the most influential American films of the past few decades." Roger Ebert did not like it, giving it only 1 star. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 95%.

The song Blue Velvet is featured:

16 comments:

  1. Well, all I can say is I rented it (Netflix DVD) back in 2005 and it wasn't memorable because I honestly have no memory of it--lol! I didn't rate it very highly, either, despite all the good actors in it. Hummm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a definite mood. I can see that it might not have appealed to me either at certain points in my life.

      Delete
  2. ...I love the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the film, and the lovely song! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be singing that song all day long. I am sure I saw this, maybe on Turner Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, 1986 seems so old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blue Velvet sung by the Polish Prince. That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw your blog title

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what I thought when I first heard that it was a film title.

      Delete
  7. I remember this one well. Definitely David Lynch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like this song.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the song made a big impression.

      Delete