Tuesday, February 28, 2023

The Sweet Hereafter

The Sweet Hereafter is an award-winning 1997 film that tells the story of a school bus accident in a small town that kills 14 children. A class-action lawsuit ensues, proving divisive in the community and becoming tied with personal and family issues. It stars Ian Holm as a lawyer involved in the case. This is a quiet, personal film, dealing with individual lives and how they are affected. I watched it on Freevee.

trailer:



Spirituality and Practice says, "This film courageously and convincingly circles around the difficult themes of death, public and private loss, and the very human need to take some meaning away from inexplicable tragedy." Variety describes it as "a rich, complex meditation on the impact of a terrible tragedy on a small town". The Roger Ebert web site has a full 4-star review which concludes by saying, "This is one of the best films of the year, an unflinching lament for the human condition." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 98%.

Join me in a hot beverage



over at the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering.

17 comments:

  1. this accidents are always so horrible- I Love your cup and saucer
    Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ian Holm... and what a beautiful tea cup! Happy T day Divers! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sad film. Love your tea cup! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds too sad for me right now.
    I love that cup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving your cup and saucer. You have such a pretty collection when you share with us. Hope you are enjoying your heat. :) And your T day too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds too sad for me atm, love your blue cup and saucer, how lovely. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'll watch this while Himself is tied up in a meeting. Thanks. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are the kinds of films I have a hard time watching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Ian Holm. This sounds very sad. I can't imagine what that would have been like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds sad. But I love that tea cup.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. In a way it reminds me of the divisive rhetoric coming out of East Palestine, Oh. I will look for this on Freevee. So glad you reviewed it. Seems it was well liked by reviewers, too.

    That is a beautiful cup and saucer you have shared with us. Thanks for the film and your amazing cup and saucer for T this Tuesday, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cup is so pretty. You come up with a lot of movies I have never heard of. Thanks for sharing. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had heard of this movie but never seen it. Now I want to ... I think I was confusing with another movie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will check this out. I love that coffee cup and dish. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember a few harrowing scenes in this film. Ian Holme had a difficult part to play

    ReplyDelete
  16. There were a few harrowing scenes in this film. Ian Holm had a difficult part to play. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete