Sunday, February 05, 2023

The Banshees Of Inisherin

The Banshees Of Inisherin is a 2022 dark tragicomedy film starring Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson as two lifelong friends who find themselves at an impasse when one abruptly ends their relationship. I was predisposed to like this film and looked forward to having it available. After it was over I sat staring at the TV screen wishing I had those two hours back. I'm one of the few, though, because it is widely praised, so you may think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Most people have nothing but good things to say. I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:



Rotten Tomatoes has a 97% critics consensus score.

16 comments:

  1. 2 hours of my life wasted

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...it sounds like I didn't miss anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to most everybody else _I'm_ the one who missed something in my failure to see this as the masterpiece it is.

      Delete
  3. I heard of that one. Thanks for pointing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wondering about this film since I saw it was nominated for an Academy Award. When I saw the theatre previews it didn't catch my eye, but I will have to watch it on HBO, now that I know where I can see it. Thanks. And I'm curious how I'll feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! I wanted to like this film so much (really like Colin Farrell) and it was such a disappointment to me. Pointless and I guess I didn't find it humorous but deeply sad and senseless. Shocked when it was praised so highly and up for awards. I am not the average viewer, either, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it had deep meaning... I just didn't care ;)

      Delete
  6. Good to know I'm not missing anything by not having HBO max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I love HBO Max. It's a big favorite around here. Of course I don't love _everything_ they offer...

      Delete
  7. Sounds complicated, as life sometimes is. And a bit scary. And it reminds me of "my T" who hid his left hand always, till he saw my scars on a summer day.
    Two fingers missing. Now he wars a ring on that hand. Not the point, but it reminded me of that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a definite connection there, so I see why you mentioned it. It's a deeply personal issue. I'm glad he's come to terms with his hand as it is now. It can be hard.

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen this. Part of me wants to because of its nominations. But a big part of me resists. It's still resisting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just remember In Bruges so fondly...

      Delete