Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Limelight (1952)

Limelight is a 1952 comedy drama film starring Charlie Chaplin, Claire Bloom (who observes her 92nd birthday today), Nigel Bruce, Norman Lloyd, and Buster Keaton. What a beautiful story, a touching movie about what love means. I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:



Criterion calls it "masterful drama" and "among the writer-director’s most touching films". Roger Ebert calls it "probably his [Chaplin's] most personal, revealing film". Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 97%.

12 comments:

  1. ...Happy Birthday Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful film! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I think I found what I'm watching while having my lunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan. I haven't decided on mine yet...

      Delete
  4. This movie is a treasure, Nita. I love it. On another note -- Between company last week, prepping for a Cork Poppers do, an ear and/or sinus infection, and then this week's mass shooting in our town, I'm so behind blog reading, I'll never catch up! I'll try to take a look at all but not comment and hopefully be back on schedule this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got enough going on without worrying about blog comments.

      Delete
  5. I wish I could see this. Charlie Chaplin was a master at his art and craft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another one to put on my watchlist because I am not sure if I have seen this one or not. ;)

    ReplyDelete