Thursday, February 23, 2023

American Splendor

American Splendor is a 2003 American biographical comedy-drama film about Harvey Pekar, the author of the American Splendor comic book series. The film, which is a hybrid production featuring live actors, documentary, and animation, is in part an adaptation of the comics, which dramatize Pekar's life. Paul Giamatti stars. This is not my usual fare, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:



The Guardian reviewer explains why it's her favorite film. Roger Ebert gives it a full 4 stars and a glowing review. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 94%.

14 comments:

  1. ...some of America's splendor is tarnished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of it is being burned to the ground. Marjorie Taylor Greene is promoting secession.

      Delete
  2. The trailer looks quite interesting. Wish I had HBO Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get a free trial of HBO Max through Amazon Prime. It lasts 7 days. That's how we started.

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this film or person, but I like Paul Giamatti. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds different, glad you enoyed it! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a good one. I like Paul Giamatti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good one, such a different concept.

      Delete
  6. Watched this long ago on Netflix DVD. Looked it up and it was in 2008 I saw it. I remember it being just weird and silly dry humor. Love Paul Giamatti and that's why I watched it in the first place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds very interesting and so different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm impressed by the creativity in the film industry.

      Delete