Friday, February 10, 2023

Dracula: Prince of Darkness

Dracula: Prince of Darkness is a 1966 supernatural horror film directed by Terence Fisher and is the third entry in Hammer's Dracula series as well as the second to feature Christopher Lee as Count Dracula. It also stars Barbara Shelley. I don't see this movie streamable anywhere right now. I can't remember how I watched it. This is the kind of thing I'd encourage people to keep an eye out for at their local DVD store, but we don't have local DVD stores any more. I still mourn the loss of those opportunities.

trailer:



Diabolique Magazine closes with this:
Dracula: Prince of Darkness occupies a special place in Hammer’s history as the sequel that resurrected the Dracula franchise proper, after languishing for eight years. Stylistically it represents the kind of stately and patient storytelling that was Hammer’s hallmark, and which is almost nonexistent in today’s horror cinema. ...if you want to settle in for the evening with a good Gothic horror yarn, Dracula: Prince of Darkness suits well.
DVD Talk calls it "an effective haunted house thriller" TCM has an overview. Moria and 1000 Misspent Hours each has a positive review. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 81%.

10 comments:

  1. ...fortunately it's getting lighter earlier each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember if I've seen this before. It sure looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of vampire movies out there.

      Delete
  3. I may have seen these growing up watching Elvira creepy movies late at night on Saturday nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have Elvira, as I don't think she's been born yet ;) but we had Sivad, the Monster of Ceremonies, who introduced horror movies late at night. Spooky!

      Delete
  4. From the trailer, I may have seen this at TCM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember watcching this when I was at college, scary! Valerie

    ReplyDelete