Friday, July 19, 2019

The Night Came Slowly

Kate Chopin

The Night Came Slowly is an 1895 short story by Kate Chopin. You can read it online here or -since it is so short- below:
I am losing my interest in human beings; in the significance of their lives and their actions. Some one has said it is better to study one man than ten books. I want neither books nor men; they make me suffer. Can one of them talk to me like the night – the Summer night? Like the stars or the caressing wind?

The night came slowly, softly, as I lay out there under the maple tree. It came creeping, creeping stealthily out of the valley, thinking I did not notice. And the outlines of trees and foliage nearby blended in one black mass and the night came stealing out from them, too, and from the east and west, until the only light was in the sky, filtering through the maple leaves and a star looking down through every cranny.

The night is solemn and it means mystery.

Human shapes flitted by like intangible things. Some stole up like little mice to peep at me. I did not mind. My whole being was abandoned to the soothing and penetrating charm of the night.

The katydids began their slumber song: they are at it yet. How wise they are. They do not chatter like people. They tell me only: “sleep, sleep, sleep.” The wind rippled the maple leaves like little warm love thrills.

Why do fools cumber the Earth! It was a man’s voice that broke the necromancer’s spell. A man came to-day with his “Bible Class.” He is detestable with his red cheeks and bold eyes and coarse manner and speech. What does he know of Christ? Shall I ask a young fool who was born yesterday and will die tomorrow to tell me things of Christ? I would rather ask the stars: they have seen him.

20 comments:

  1. That very short story was enjoyable to read. There is something magical about the night sky filled with stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can place myself easily into her stories. She has a wonderful way with words.

      Delete
  2. What a soulful writing ... must read more. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's an author worth checking out :)

      Delete
  3. That has to be the shortest short story ever. I like her imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The really short ones are amazing, I think. To do so much with so few words.

      Delete
  4. I really like what I have read by Kate Chopin. I should pull of the book of short stories I have (from way back in college) and read them again. Happy Friday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Awakening was the first thing I read by her. I came across this one online looking for something else.

      Delete
  5. This WAS a short story. It was also rather magical due to her imagery. I felt like I was lying under that maple tree waiting for the darkness to overtake me. GREAT find, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That author works magic, I swear she does.

      Delete
  6. What a strange story. Or not a story really. A piece of prose.
    And I also watched yesterday's short film: The woman and the pigeons. That was really good. I enjoyed that.
    Thanks for sharing films and short stories,
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She paints images in such a way that I feel like I'm a part of the story. I'm glad you liked the short film :)

      Delete
  7. Love this!!! Thanks! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. You can't go wrong with a short story this short ;)

      Delete
  8. Great story. It is so hard to write a meaningful story with so few words. Hve a great weekend, and thanks for sharing! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen challenges to write a story in fewer than "fill in the blank number" words. It's amazing the stories that can be told when economy is the driving factor.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. This author is always a beautiful read, I think.

      Delete
  10. Interesting, I like her writing style 😁. Thanks! Jo x

    ReplyDelete