Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Love from a Stranger (1937)

Love from a Stranger is a 1937 film adaptation of a play which was in turn an adaptation of an Agatha Christie short story. Starring Ann Harding and Basil Rathbone, the actors do a great job of playing out the roles in this suspense thriller.

Watch it via the Internet Archive (The sound's a bit fuzzy, but I couldn't find a cleaner one.):



I'll offer this as my "in" to the weekly T Stand for Tuesday blogger gathering where we share a reference to a beverage and visit one another:



On learning her dear friend has won thousands of pounds in a sweepstakes:

"I'll go make a cup of tea."

to which her friend pulls a bottle out of a bag and says,

"Tea?! Champagne!"

In the screenshot above they are laughing and crying with joy and excitement as they uncork the bottle. What a sweet moment.

ClassicHorror concludes,
Running for 84 minutes, this smoothly acted suspense drama is unfortunately one of Rathbone's frequently overlooked performances, despite that fact that he is superbly effective as the insane murderer. The quick-fire editing, atmospheric photography and Britten's good music score, particularly during the latter stages, is an additional bonus, but it is Rathbone's performance alone that makes this film most enjoyable.
Agatha Christie Reader calls it "a wry, well-conceived psychological thriller which proves that –even 75 years on– movies haven’t really changed." TCM has information.

*******

ATCs:

Beverage:


Abstract:


Time:


Pink:


House:


Here Comes the Sun:


Cardboard:


Memphis:


Beach:


Bicycle:


Random (not from a prompt):

22 comments:

  1. Always like Agathe Christie ... and always say yes to pink. I forgot to mention it's not just storming Area 51 but on August 19th they want to storm the Vatican!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm headed to Facebook now to check out storming the Vatican lol What would I do without random fun from the internet?

      Delete
  2. I had to laugh at your garden it is cheaper than therapy ATC. LOVE it. Between that an art it must be why I cope so much better with the world now than I did when I was younger. Smile. You created some great ATC's this week, including the secure on which also made me smile. Hope it's not too hot for you and you have a great T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having highs in the 80s from the rain from Barry, and that's a break in temps for us :)

      Delete
  3. Good morning, I really love your atc's this week too are you in an atc group for the ideas are do they come to you?
    Happy T hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I follow many blogger challenges and get my inspiration prompts from those. Without those, I'd probably just put together bits from the materials I've collected like I do for my "random" ones. The more structured prompts help a lot!

      Delete
  4. Lovely assortment of ATCs. You always find your creative juices each week. (I have dry spells sometimes.) I enjoyed that movie, and agree with the positive review of Rathbone's performance in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This movie was new to me. Did I find it at your blog? I've found so many through you! I do lose track... Rathbone was quite effective here.

      Delete
    2. You might've found it at my blog, or saved the link when I mentioned watching it in one of my T-Day posts. I've been saving book links from your posts, but I'm behind on my reading.

      Delete
  5. Wow, a film I have even seen, I liked it! Great ATCs, they get better and better. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:31 AM

    I like 'em all! Of course, I'm partial to coffee.
    --A Pal

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that movie! And I love your ATCs too- what fabulous collages! Nope, I couldn't choose just one favorite:) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to see this film now that I will have more time. I love psychological thrillers.

    Your ATCs are incredible. The coffee one is my favorite because I can't live without coffee. But I also love that you drew a cup on a collaged background, too. Of course, Memphis, the Beach (which was a hoot), and Secure were favs, too. I really look forward to your ATCs each week, dear. Thanks for sharing these with us for our 6th T Tuesday Anniversary. And thanks for joining the anniversary swap, too.

    BTW, it is 98 F here at (almost) noon. I would give anything for your cooler temps. But you can keep Barry's rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy browsing your ATCS, D. They're beautifully done and very diverse. I guess that suits your nom de plume perfectly. 😉

    Happy T-day and Happy 6th to us! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful way to celebrate T Day! Mmm, which would I choose tea or champagne ...lol 😉. Wow, your ATCs are stunning! The little owl really made me smile and I love all your designs, I'm always amazed by all the variety and different techniques that you use to create them - fabulous 😀. Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recall watching Basil Rathbone films on wet Saturdays on TV with my Mum! I wish there were more B and W films on TV these days although we do get occasional ones on Vintage TV! Your ATCs are always so varied and such fun! Getting an e-mail off to you before bedtime!! Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  12. enjoying your atcs while drinking my coffee here... they speak of good summer feelings. xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous ATCs. Every one of them. Champagne on the T-Day anniversary is so perfect! Thank you and ... cheers!
    Happy (belated) T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  14. your ATCs are wonderful! And I love the exchange about tea and champagne! Thank you for another movie! I can't wait to watch this one! You have introduced me to a new world, these movies on my laptop! I never knew!
    Thank you! Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A super selection of ATC's. I still think I'd enjoy a cup of twa and pass the fizz/
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somehow I missed this. Champagne! Then we'd all be dancing like the group on the beach. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Atcs are spectacular !! I looove them so much, your ideas and creativity are Great !! Hope your T-day has been super fabulous. I like very much the movies with Agatha Christie, thanks so much for sharing.
    I wish you a very nice weekend,
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete