Friday, July 05, 2019

The Memphis Botanic Gardens Urban Home Garden


The Memphis Botanic Gardens has a new garden called the Urban Home Garden. It includes elements that can be included in an urban/suburban yard landscape -not my urban townhouse, mind you, but the kind of single family house with a yard that most here seem to have.

Here's the sign at the entrance to this area:


There's a chicken coop:



and various fruits and vegetables and places to sit:




While I was there I looked at the rose garden:


and the Butterfly Garden:






though I didn't see many butterflies. The Husband gives me a membership to this garden for Mother's Day every year, and every year I enjoy it even more.

12 comments:

  1. That sounds like the BEST gift ever. You have a thoughtful husband. And what a great place! I totally get why you want a membership and chances to go visit. Happy belated 4th. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the day there was a free afternoon a week, but they eliminated that in favor of free memberships for families on public assistance. I do enjoy my time there :)

      Delete
  2. What a great gift. It looks like a beautiful place to visit and get ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful place to go, with such varied settings :)

      Delete
  3. what an awesome gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Wichita, you aren't allowed to have chickens in the city limits. I was surprised to read they were allowed in Memphis. That was a nice set-up for people who wanted to have chickens. I have always wanted raised beds, but they are cost prohibitive where I live. This was a great gift from your husband. Too bad there are no free days, but I have noticed none of our museums have free days here, except a few have them on Smithsonian Day. Such diversity at your Botanic Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't have roosters, but chickens are allowed.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful spot to get ideas from. Cool chicken coop. Wouldn't be allowed in a lot of towns up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived in neighborhoods with chickens before, and they make fine neighbors. In fact, you don't even know they're there.

      Delete