Thursday, July 11, 2019

The Doorbell Rang


The Doorbell Rang is a Nero Wolfe detective novel by Rex Stout. Though published in 1965, it's still quite relevant in how it portrays the FBI as a too-powerful, secretive, aggressively abusive, government agency at odds with the best interest of citizens. This is the last of the Nero Wolfe books that have been loaned to me by The Younger Son and so will be the last I read until he obtains more. I have thoroughly enjoyed this series.

from the back of the book:
There's no one and nothing the great detective Nero Wolfe wouldn't take on if the price was right. That's something wealthy society widow Rachel Bruner is counting on when she writes him a check for a whopping hundred grand. But even Wolfe has a moment's doubt when he finds out why the prize is so generous. For the oversize genius and he able assistant Archie Goodwin are about to link horns with the FBI -and those highly trained G-men have a way with threats, tails, and bugs that could give even sedentary sleuth Nero Wolfe a run for his money.
This book has been adapted twice in English. 1) the A and E Mystery series starring Maury Chaykin and Timothy Hutton:



That entire video series is worth watching, and we have it on DVD and re-watch them every once in a while. The adaptations are well done and might even be considered better than the books.

and 2) in a 1977 made-for-TV film called Nero Wolfe starring Thayer David and Tom Mason:



This should at best be called a loose adaptation, since it's said to include a romantic subplot involving Wolfe. I haven't seen this one and have no need to with the entire Chaykin/Hutton series on my shelf.





18 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review-sounds good and I was not familiar with the book or these shows. since my tv is up at the lake I have been catching up on book reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shows really are priceless, wonderful adaptations of the stories. I've really enjoyed reading the books after having seen the series :)

      Delete
  2. That book sounds good. There are no checks and balances on the power of the FBI, and now all of the alphabet agencies work together (FBI, NSA, CIA, etc.) to spy on Americans, with the Patriot Act used to justify the violation of the Fourth Amendment. Then when Russia warned our Government, twice, about one of the Boston Bomber brothers, the FBI did nothing, and later in time, that terrorist attack occurred. I'm going to make a blog post with links to all of those Nero Wolf episodes, so I can watch them later. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like it's getting worse instead of better, and trying to hold people accountable gets dismissed.

      Delete
  3. FYI: I made the blog post with the episodes. (S01E02 seems to be missing.)

    https://annescreativecornucopia.blogspot.com/2019/07/a-nero-wolfe-mystery-tv-series.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! We have the series on DVD. We enjoy re-watching them :)

      Delete
  4. I can't keep up with you. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the slowest reader on the planet, because I read every word. People can't understand why I got such good grades in school. It's because I read it once and it stuck. I saw all the A & E Nero Wolf mysteries, but I will gladly see this one again. I LOVED that series and was saddened when they didn't renew it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are different styles of reading, aren't there, and sometimes that depends on the material. Some people can get and remember school material without reading each of the individual words, while some people can't remember it no matter how they read lol. Memory can be tricky. With fiction it's often the case that the writer has chosen each word with care, and it seems a shame when people skim for meaning and plot developments when the words themselves are so important.

      I was also saddened when that series didn't get renewed. I'd have loved to have seen it take off like the Poirot series did.

      Delete
  6. Thanks, two more for my winter-days binge list. Have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book takes place in January :) so it's perfect for wintertime reading :)

      Delete
  7. Nice review. It's great how you've read so many in this series. One of these days I'll get around to reading at least one of them. happy Friday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the series novels when there are so many of them and when I enjoy the characters so much :)

      Delete
  8. Intriguing story and it sounds as if it doesn't portray the FBI in a very favourable way. Glad you enjoyed reading this series, thanks for sharing 😁. Happy Friday and Weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the FBI is shadowy and powerful and abuses that power in this story. The agency operatives are pictured as petty and vindictive -definitely an unfavorable portrayal.

      Delete
  9. Adding recommendation to the list - thankfully our library system is large with 7 branches so surely I'll be reading in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find them. The books aren't as popular as they once were.

      Delete