Thursday, August 08, 2019

Use of Weapons


This is a re-read for me, although my last time through was almost a decade ago and most of it was lost to me in the intervening years. I'm glad I re-read it. I believe any book worth reading is worth re-reading. Use of Weapons is the third novel in the Culture series by Iain M. Banks.

from the back of the book:
Cheradenine Zakalwe is an agent of Special Circumstances, the elite weapon of the Culture's policy of moral espionage. Zazkalwe has meddled in the destinies of countries, races, entire planets - with everything from military action to plain old dirty tricks.

Finally he's been thrust into the fray on the losing side one too many times, and he chooses early retirement. Yet when Special Circumstances suddenly decides that they want him back, they never anticipate that regaining the burned-out agent will all rest on the power to manipulate his one fatal flaw.
Steven Wu calls it "a compulsively readable book, and a great deal of fun." SFF.net has a review describing it as "probably the consensus choice among Banks' readers as his best SF novel."

The Guardian has a positive review that begins, "ain M Banks's novel Use of Weapons has a narrative structure that, if it were not a work of science fiction, would qualify it as the most "literary" of literary fiction." Eyrie.org says, "It's that sort of book: the more I thought about it, the deeper it looked." Green Man Review closes with this: "Use of Weapons is told in a gripping and entertaining way. It’s a perfect illustration of the powerful writing that has made the British sf renewal of the past two decades such an important contribution to the genre."

12 comments:

  1. Do you need to read the other two before this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are standalone novels that take place in the same universe. There's some background material in the books that came before but nothing that's necessary to understanding the plot and characters.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. This author is a winner, and the Culture series is that unusual thing -truly original.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a fascinating book to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like science fiction, I think at least one of these books is a must-read

      Delete
  4. I like to reread books also. Especially the ones you have fond memories of but can't remember all the details of. Plus it sounds pretty good to me. Hope it was a great Thursday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could remember the environment and the ships but nothing about the plot. It was good to re-read it :)

      Delete
  5. Some books I buy because I know I want to re-read, it's like visiting with friends. I checked out the kudzu plant - OH, when my sister lived in Tennessee I remember her telling us about this vine invader. Makes me think of the Body Snatchers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are stories about people buying land covered in kudzu only to find houses buried under it. I maintain it must cure cancer or why would god have created such an overpowering force of plant life.

      Delete
  6. This sounds quite good, I have added it to my list....Valerie

    ReplyDelete