Saturday, August 10, 2019

Chattanooga, part 1

I tend to pick places for vacations that are state parks with plenty of walking trails, but variety is the spice of life and The Husband had a hankering to see the Chattanooga Lookouts. Chattanooga, it was! I had been as a child, and we had taken the kids when they were young, but we hadn't done everything, after all.

We got a decent morning start so that we could stop and eat on the way and still get there in good time. We looked online ahead of time, hoping to avoid the national chains, and headed for Little Libby's in Madison, Alabama.


Here's the front of the menu:


There was a bizarre notice inside the menu praising the 2nd Amendment and Guns and such, and if I'd seen that soon enough we'd have left. Apparently they are quite the right-wingers, and I'm not happy having my nose rubbed in a business' political views, but there we were, so there we stayed. You can see the menu items at the GrubHub link without the guns intruding.

The food was delicious. They brought us some hush puppies to start, and I had the catfish plate:


The Husband had a sandwich and banana pudding:


There were too many customers for me to even attempt a photo of the interior, but it was a comfortable setting. The service was flawless -fast, accurate, and friendly. But I can't help that I wondered if she was carrying or who around me might be armed. If we were locals we'd try to find a place less overtly welcoming of armed customers and less public with their politics. But that's just me. Like I said, the food and service were excellent.

The Husband had selected a hotel with an eye to being as close to everything we wanted to do downtown as possible, and he hit the jackpot with the Marriott Courtyard. The room was a nice basic hotel room, and look how close we were to the Aquarium (that pointy-roofed building across the street):


and the baseball field was just a block or so away. Nice! Once we got unloaded we explored a bit along the Tennessee River, which was a couple of blocks away just on the other side of the Aquarium.





There's a sculpture garden, too, and although we didn't go to the art museum we did walk along the path with the sculptures:










Along the path there was what might be called a pocket park highlighting some of the local history:



Here's the view over my shoulder as we left that area heading back to the hotel:


When we took the kids when they were little we stayed in the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel, and that was great fun, but this downtown location suited us better this time. When we're on vacation like this we take some food with us (dry cereal, peanut butter, chips, etc.) and snack for breakfast and supper, only eating out for lunch. So this brings our Arrival Day to a close, since I didn't take a photo of that snack supper.

18 comments:

  1. I've never had catfish, or any other fresh water fish. I suppose being so close to the ocean mostly what we think of as fish comes from the sea. I loved the hush puppy appetizers when we visited our friends in South Carolina. They took us to a diner and hush puppies came with the meal. I wouldn't have been happy with the company politics either. Just too bad, the 2nd amendment cheerleaders don't actually read the Constitution especially the 2nd Amendment. 'Nuff said. Really beautiful sculpture garden. I enjoyed learning the history even if it makes me feel ashamed. A good reminder to never forget and never repeat. Looking forward to more of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I order catfish whenever it's available. Hushpuppies are different from each kitchen. It's always nice to get the local take on the Southern specialty.

      I just don't like it in my face when I'm trying to do business or eat lunch. I don't eat Chickfila any more because my gay friends have asked it, but their owner is a special kind of true believer. I don't eat at a local donut shop any more because their owner, known to be quite conservative, had a big media circus one morning at his shop to support Marsha Blackburn. I mean, I knew he was conservative, but I didn't appreciate this overt in-your-face use of the public space. There was controversy recently over one of the big home improvement stores, but it turned out the other was run by folks just as conservative. And local options can be limited. I'd just rather they didn't plaster their politics all over their menus. Kind of a don't-ask-don't-tell policy.

      Delete
  2. There are a lot of very interesting statues in that park, makes the wander interesting. Locally there has recently been a lot of discussion about supporting businesses with our dollars that have politics we don't like or agree with. I am trying to figure this one out, I'm not sure how I feel on most of the local politics. While Canada is not without gun violence, it certainly is not at the level of the US of A. I don't think I'd be comfortable worrying about who's carrying in a public setting. This is one reason we no longer feel safe to travel in Toronto. The gang (illegal) gun battles include far too many innocent bystanders. I'm sure the gun debate everywhere is going to take quite a lot of cool, level heads to figure out, but it is time to do something to stop the needless carnage. I think it's good that we talk about it ... and now I'm craving hush puppies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten to where I don't think there can be reasoned debate on this issue as long as folks are convinced they have an unfettered, unrestricted constitutional right to any kind of arsenal they've a mind to have. It's ridiculous. I have a right to free speech, but I've willingly agreed to common-sense restrictions. Hushpuppies make everything better :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:32 AM

    No snack supper photos?! :o)
    The pix turned out great!
    --A Pal





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, that just didn't have the same kind of appeal that the fried catfish and hushpuppies did ;)

      Delete
  4. I'm with you about the restaurant but the food looks really yummy. I have never had fried catfish but I just love hushpuppies. I had fried walleye pike on my trip the dakotas and that was pretty yummy. And what a cool sculpture garden. So far the trip looks really fascinating! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had pike, but I've had other fresh water fish and enjoyed them. Usually it's catfish I see on menus. I do love the sculptures :)

      Delete
  5. I can't imagine going into any place of business to see them posting their controversial political viewpoints! Like you said, especially when it makes you wonder if the employees and customers could be likely carrying guns. On a menu--OMG!

    That park with all the various sculptures looked quite interesting. Really liked the horse. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're proud of their views and want like-minded folks to know they have support there.

      I should've taken a photo with me beside the horse. These were big pieces.

      Delete
  6. First, before you kick me out of the club, I am a gun owner. I owned a gun before the conceal carry law was in force in KS. I got a special permit from the Highway Patrol who tested me and my firearm. Unfortunately, whenever I had my pistol (which only shoots six shots, not 200 a minute) I had to wear it so others could see it, just like law enforcement. I had a job that didn't require, but encouraged me to be armed is the only reason.

    I have friends who get in my face about their politics. I tell them I don't want to hear it. I usually just walk away because I don't need to know what Muslims, gays, and Hispanics are doing to our country. One time I said the Russians don't have to rig our elections. They are tearing us apart bit by bit with white supremacy and racist rhetoric, etc. OK, off my soapbox.

    I LOVED the horse made of old wood tree branches and the cyclist, too. I don't understand the one that looked like a tomato cage, though. So glad you had a great vacation. BTW, I have never had catfish, but I have had lots of different kinds of hush puppies, none of which taste exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love discussing politics with folks whether their opinions agree with mine or not. It's when a business promotes a view and you have no opportunity for a give and take discussion that I'm uncomfortable with it. The discussion and argument, even if it gets heated, is important to me in understanding opposing views.

      Yeah, the tomato cage was fun. Huge! The pigeons liked it :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you got to see a lot, but restaurants with guns sounds a bit like the old wild west films. The food looks good, although I do prefer sea-fish. Thanks for sharing the photos, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wild West had more restrictive laws in towns and cities than we're allowed to now. Some didn't allow guns in town at all. How far we've come from what the founders had in mind!

      Delete
  8. Looks like an interesting place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. There's such a variety of activities -truly something for everyone.

      Delete
  9. It looks like a nice place to visit.

    ReplyDelete