Thursday, August 15, 2019

Chattanooga, part 6

We decided to make our last full day in Chattanooga relatively low-key. We took the free downtown shuttle across the river to the North Shore and walked from the station to Coolidge Park.





We wandered around North Chattanooga a bit. There were dance instructions for all kinds of dances embedded in the sidewalks:


I already knew how to do the Hokey Pokey and was unable to talk The Husband into trying the Rumba with me, but he did sit here to "play":


After exploring for a bit, we took the shuttle back to the hotel. We'd walked around more than the photos might suggest, so we propped our feet up and rested for a bit before we decided to have lunch at the Pickle Barrel Restaurant, which is in one of the unusual wedge-shaped buildings I don't see often. Back onto the free shuttle, and the driver dropped us off at a stop right across the street from the restaurant.



You can read their menu here. So hard to decide! But I had the Bacon Mushroom Swiss burger with a side of onion rings:


It was delicious!

Here's the view from our table:


Saying goodbye to our last Chattanooga restaurant, we rode the shuttle back towards the hotel but walked the last few blocks just to soak up our last taste of Chattanooga. Back at the hotel, having rested for a while, we decided we weren't quite ready to stop exploring. We headed back out on foot and found dessert:




I wandered across the crosswalk towards the art museum:


and then back towards the pedestrian bridge:


We both went out onto the Walnut Street pedestrian bridge but not all the way across it.


We headed back to the hotel by a different route and saw these four season statues:



Back at the hotel, we were truly ready for some down time before the drive home the next day.







16 comments:

  1. Be still my beating heart!!! A rhinoceros statue!!! What a thrill to get to see that! All of your photos are lovely. That looks like a nice area to walk around in and visit. I like the building architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ikr?! I saw it from distance and thought it looked like a rhino, and lo and behold that's what it was! Fun :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my, what a fabulous time you had. Love the dance steps. The hokey pokey is about the only dance I manage! So many beauties to see, and those onion rings are calling to me. It's bed time here, and this is my last visit before I fall into my bed and now I will be dreaming of onion rings and ice and coffee! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me wish Memphis had dance steps in our sidewalks :)

      Delete
  3. Such a great trip. Fabulous food. So much art. I love the idea of the dance steps on the sidewalk though I’d be reserved like your husband and not up for a public performance. I really enjoyed your trip to Chattanooga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed by the amount of public art along the streets.

      Delete
  4. ow an awesome place to visit-loved the dance steps in the sidewalk pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've never seen anything like those dance steps.

      Delete
  5. It is a very attractive city. A rhino? Did that have any significance I wonder. Your lunch looks yummy. Onion rings, a booger and then ice cream...yes please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about the significance of the rhino. About that time, we were stopped by some people on a scavenger hunt who wanted to take a picture of them giving me a limerick they had written lol.

      Delete
  6. That is some impressive water feature. I chuckled at the dance steps in the sidewalk - I wouldn't, but I like to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some people with little kids playing in the spray at the fountain. Sweet :)

      Delete
  7. Such a fun time! Thanks so much for bringing us all along. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm as sad as you about leaving Chattanooga. I've really enjoyed my time here with you and it didn't cost me nearly what it cost you (grin). One of the things that made me smile was that fountain in the park. I think I could have stayed there all day exploring the various animals. Wonderful. And so near a rhino, too. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos with us. Like everyone else, I enjoyed seeing the music steps on the street. I've never heard of the hokey pokey, so I'd have been out there trying out the steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hokey Pokey may have been the first "dance" I ever learned. I'd've been 3 or 4, I guess. I thought it was a rite of passage, and I didn't realize it wasn't something everybody grew up with. Here's a pretty good video version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ogs1lUwjak . When I learned it we also included elbows and "whole self" in the song. I imagine there are regional variants. There are versions that've charted through the years. There's a Babylon 5 connection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8tOa_En7A .

      Delete