Sunday, August 11, 2019

Chattanooga, part 2

One of the things I wanted to do while we were in Chattanooga was ride the Incline Railway again.


Here's the Lookout Mountain 4-minute video of the cars riding up and down the tracks:



Going up:


At the top:



At the top is Point Park, and we walked down to it thinking we'd see a cafe or restaurant somewhere that wasn't the snack bar in the railway station. But, no, no restaurants or signs for restaurants. Somebody's missing a huge opportunity on that front. Point Park offers good views and interesting Civil War history.









Heading back to the Incline Railway to go back down, I saw a 42:


Going back down the mountain:



At the foot of the mountain, right across the street from where you board the Incline Railway, we were delighted to see Mr. T's Pizza:


You can see the menu here. I got a small veggie classic, and The Husband got beef:


This is the interior (which did clear out enough while we were eating to avoid people cameos) and the view from our table of the ride going up and down as we ate:


We had bought fudge in the Incline Railway gift shop so ate that for dessert:


It was unusually good fudge, and I hate that I didn't get a photo of it. I guess I was too busy eating it.

We remembered fondly the Tow Truck Museum from our previous trip, and we decided to go back. It had moved from a storefront downtown to a place further out, but we knew we'd pass right by the new location on our way back to the hotel. Here's a picture of the original location:


and here's the current facility:


They begin your visit with a short video presentation explaining the history and purpose of the museum. I don't see that video online, but this one will give you the idea:




I don't often post photos of myself on my blog, but there was one of the trucks you were allowed to climb on:


There's a memorial plaza outside:


Back at the hotel we put up our feet for a bit, because The Husband was taking me out to the ball game later. The Chattanooga Lookouts play at ATT field. We had great seats.


It was some kind of kids promotional night, and there were many fun activities between innings for the children in the stands. There was a program, though I didn't pay much attention to it. We ate hotdogs and popcorn for supper and had a great time as the game went into extra innings.



Afterwards, we walked back to the hotel. We had a full day planned for the next day, too, so we wanted to get some rest.

21 comments:

  1. Good morning-wow what a very fun time-I would have enjoyed that ride with the views and the history. Glad you found a place to eat, and yum fudge! Thanks for sharing-Happy Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun place with a lot of things for tourists to do.

      Delete
    2. yes it looks like a fun place

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:59 AM

    What a great post -- and free baseball!
    --A Pal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I loved the video of the Incline Railway, especially the bluesy, jazzy music. Great views! You make a great tow truck driver. I enjoyed the farm league game we saw last year, Greenville Drive even if the game was rained out. The Boston Red Sox (AL) only play the Cincinnati Reds (NL) once every five years according to Himself. Hotdogs and popcorn make a great supper. I hope you saved some fudge for dessert. Oh, and so cool to find a 42! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like when the pros have made a video lol I missed my calling. I shoulda driven a tow truck!

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous second day. You and your husband must have saved up for your trip, because it was NOT cheap. The ride on the railroad alone would have set me back, much less everything else you did that day. I was impressed with the train and saw it was built by the Otis Elevator Company. That brought back memories because I once owned a house built by and for the owner of Otis Elevators. There was even an elevator in the house, too.

    I really enjoyed all the photos from the top of the mountain. The photos were spectacular and the view was out of this world.

    I had to laugh because, even though I enlarged all the photos, I completely overlooked the pizza because of that HUGE ice cream cone on the front of the building. Your pizza looked good, though. It's been forever since I had a pizza, so I was drooling.

    The tow-truck museum really interested me. Too bad the cost of the museum was so high. I am so glad you went, though, because I had never heard of this and I would have paid to see this museum, too. Loved "meeting" you online. That bench outside was incredible.

    The only way I like baseball is in person. Seeing it on tv is boring to me.

    You had an amazing second day of your trip. I look forward to what is ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saved all year for this :) The tow truck museum was $9 for each of us, so we didn't think that was too bad. At $15 a piece round trip, we didn't think the price of the incline railway was too bad, either. Wait 'til you hear what tickets to the Aquarium cost! Be sitting when you read that post! I'm not the biggest baseball fan in the world, but the ballpark experience is a treat. We weren't actually expecting much from the pizza place, since the emphasis did seem to be on the ice cream, but we really liked it. We'd be regulars -well, as regular as we could afford ;) - if we lived there.

      Delete
    2. YES, it was definitely a shocker to see the prices you paid for the Aquarium tickets. I'd have to save for two years just to visit on these three days. And I'm sure there's more to come, too.

      Delete
    3. We had to plan carefully, but we're trying to keep taking an annual vacation :)

      Delete
  5. Great photos, off to see your first post now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my cell does as well with photos as it does :)

      Delete
  6. What beautiful views from atop the mountain. Recently I saw a move that takes place during the Civil War, it featured Nicole Kidman, it certainly is an interesting bit of history (which seems to be repeating itself now!). Mr Man says he'd like to visit the tow truck museum - we watch a show about big rig towing & rescue from the B.C. mountain - so now he's fascinated in the skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember -I think it was last year- there was a conspiracy theory that the liberals were gonna rise up and rebel and stage a 2nd civil war? It was a trip lol, and I got such a kick out of posting my #2ndCivilWarLetters updates to Facebook. I can't believe what Trump is doing to this country but am glad he hasn't destroyed our sense of humor.

      When the kids were little we went to the tow truck museum because our youngest (4 or so at the time, I think- was a car and truck enthusiast. We all enjoyed it so much we had to go back this trip. It really is a fascinating place, and the only one of its kind.

      Delete
  7. I would so love to ride on that train, wow! And although I am not a pizza fan, they both look very tempting. And fudge as well, sounds like a great place, now I know why you like going there! Lovely to see a pic of you, too,that truck looks fascinating, too. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This'll probably be our last trip there, but it is a fun place whether as a child, with a child, or as an adult.

      Delete
  8. Am loving seeing this trip and appreciate the little videos, too. Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos. The view at the top is beautiful. Your pizza looked delicious. And I love fudge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see quite a distance from the top. We are fans of both pizza and fudge. It was a lunch well suited to our tastes lol

      Delete