Monday, August 12, 2019

Chattanooga, part 3


We were glad we were so close to the Aquarium. We got up, got dressed, had a cup of coffee, and walked across the street to buy our tickets (our high-priced, jaw-droppingly expensive tickets at $35 a person, and I'm still shocked. If I lived in Chattanooga I'd buy a membership, because I'd want to go back and wow, $35!) right after they opened. Here's a 2-minute overview video from the Tennessee Aquarium's YouTube channel:




The Aquarium is divided into two separate buildings -one for salt water and one for fresh- and being closer to the ocean exhibit we started there. You enter, show your ticket, get your photo made for purchase later if you wish (we passed on that option) and head up the escalator. At landings between floors they have such beautiful resting spots with views of the Tennessee River:


On to the exhibits:










My favorite part of the Aquarium was the jellyfish exhibit:














On to the fresh water building:


where we were particularly looking forward to seeing the otters.


See the otters? "Feisty" we were promised, and words like "active" and frolic" were used.


We must've come by during their siesta period, because -except for seeing one move from one state of rest to a state of rest further along the ridge, we saw no movement at all and only two otters. Sad. Ah, well, I'm still excited about the jellyfish, so I'm not feeling too bad about this.

We passed a snake exhibit on our way to the otters:


We did give the otters a chance to liven up a bit, as we remembered them being quite active the last time we were here, but then we moved on.



I know you're beginning to think I took photos of everything, but I assure you I didn't. These buildings are huge. Here's a view from one of the paths inside:


There are multiple levels with exhibits on both sides. It's hard to get the scale for how big some of the fish are, but labeling some of them "giants" is not an exaggeration.














And farewell to the Aquarium. We were ready for lunch when we finished, but I'll save those photos for another post. If you ever get a chance to go to The Tennessee Aquarium don't pass it up.

12 comments:

  1. Looks like you're aquarium and zoo visit was a nice outing. Those rocking chairs look so inviting. I'd be tempted to spend a lot of time looking at that view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Aquarium alone would be worth a trip to Chattanooga, and there's a lot of other varied activities, too. It makes a good vacation spot.

      Delete
  2. I probably won't get a chance to visit, but I would love to. What a gorgeous and huge aquarium, fantastic! Thanks for sharing, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a prize exhibit. I wish we had something like it here.

      Delete
  3. I would have to pass up the Aquarium because of the price. I was also shocked. I DID enjoy your photos, though, and enlarged every one of them. You got some great photos and it appears you had a great time, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pricey, right? They do good work there in addition to being a premier tourist attraction, so I'm thinking of part of it as a donation ;)

      Delete
  4. That about what the aquarium in Boston costs. Not cheap but it looks like (from your photos) it was sure worth it. I always think about what it costs to maintain such quality place. And I bet there was a lot more than you showed in your photos. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we felt like it was worth it. The aquarium attractions are quite expensive, and we feel fortunate to have one so close. They do educational and protective work, too. There are 2 huge buildings. I couldn't begin to show it all. I didn't take a single photo of the penguins lol In fact I didn't take photos of most of the exhibits.

      Delete
  5. Great photos from the aquarium. I probably would've skipped it, based on the price. That is expensive. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're ever in Chattanooga I would highly recommend budgeting for this. This type of exhibit/facility is rare, and it's worth the price imo.

      Delete
  6. Really pricey, but that place is huge! And if you think of it as part donation, like you said, I guess it would be worth it. Looks really amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These major Aquarium facilities are always expensive. They do work towards breeding and improving habitat and educational work, too, so the money isn't just going to maintenance and staffing. Well worth it, just a shock at first glance.

      Delete