Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Chattanooga, part 5

There's a history in our family going back to when the kids were little of us trying without success to ride a train. Either they only offered them on alternate weekends, or they leave the station at 2 in the morning, or there's a random "closed" sign in the window when we show up, or some other scheduling complication arises, but we finally made it. I rode a train! Here's proof:


We bought tickets here:


It was a short ride, but I got such a kick out of it:


The station at the other end:


had a snack shop and a repair shed where they do renovations, reconstructions, and repairs:


We got to see the engine turned around:



The return trip was, of course, the same as the trip out, but I did get a better shot of coming out of the tunnel:


It's quite a narrow space. You can see the TVRail video of the train coming out of the tunnel here:



They had a number of train cars on display:


and you could enter this old dining car:


Now I'd like to ride the Orient Express, please.

On the way back to the hotel we passed the Boathouse restaurant and stopped in for lunch.


The parking lot was all but full and we thought we'd have a wait ahead of us, but we gave them our name and sat in the little entryway:


In no time at all we were seated on the covered deck overlooking the Tennessee River:




They have a pretty extensive menu, but I had the catfish, of course, with a side of fried okra:


We rested at the hotel for a bit before heading up the mountain by car to go to Ruby Falls:


It's a private attraction, and quite touristy, with much less emphasis on geologic formations and history and more emphasis on "cute," but we'd been before and knew the history and what to expect and have been in enough caves to know about the formations we'd see. People come from all over the world to see this, and since we were in Chattanooga I wanted to see it again. It is a dramatic sight. You can read a short history at the Wikipedia article here. The website Only In Your State says, "It's the largest underground waterfall that's accessible to the public, and many consider it to be one of the most beautiful in the world."

One visitor has posted a 6-minute video overview of their trip:



The tours are crowded and move quickly down the narrow path to the falls, but I had no trouble getting some photos along the way. You take an elevator down to this point:


and begin the tour there.













and the Falls:




The way back was along the same route but offered another look.










Back down the mountain's narrow, curving road we went, headed back to the hotel. We had a snack supper in the room and watched the second night of the Democratic presidential debate. While the first night could well be summarized as "Centrist candidates use Republican talking points to pick at Sanders and Warren," this second night was "Let's dig through the candidates' ancient history files for actions that are no longer considered politically correct".

14 comments:

  1. I haven't ridden a train for years and it is really enjoyable, isn't it? Glad you got to finally ride the train. and I love seeing your photo too in that cool hat indeed. You have inspired me to put Chattanooga on my travel list. There is so many cool things there to see for sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the train ride! There is a lot there and even more nearby. We didn't do Rock City or Chickamauga because we've been there twice before, and we've still never made it to the art museum.

      Delete
  2. I get all bent out of shape at the high cost of museums in my area. I will NEVER complain again, after seeing what you paid for tickets to ride that train and visit those falls. TN must live on tourism because they sure know how to reach your pocket. However, I'm really, really, really enjoying this experience because I could NEVER afford to visit these museums and tourist attractions. You sure know how to have a great, albeit very expensive, vacation. I really enjoyed seeing all the old train cars lined up. That was fun to see. And the way the stalactites and stalagmites were named made me smile. Someone has a very unique sense of humor.

    The catfish looked a bit better than the last, except I'm not fond of corn meal. What do I know? I know I've never had it in my life! I'd take your fries and you can have the okra, too.

    Thanks for sharing this day on your vacation. I really enjoyed it and didn't pay anything for the photos, either!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chattanooga has a thriving tourist industry, a strong connection to historical events, and world-class attractions. We've cut way back on everything this year and were glad to be able to manage this trip. When we looked at riverboat trips and Amtrak trips and trips that would require flying and how frugal we are with vacation meal planning and other considerations this didn't look all that bad lol. Perspective is everything ;)

      Delete
  3. Riding the steam trains are exciting. One Summer we did one in Vermont, though it would have been more dramatic during the Fall. There's a place in S.E. Massachusetts, Edaville RR where you can take a train ride through the cranberry bogs. They string lights up during the Christmas season. Edaville has now become Thomas Land with Thomas and Friends and is popular if you have wee ones. The train turntable was awesome. I've seen turntables but never a train being turned on one. I have taken the train from New York to Boston and frankly, I'd rather go by plane. 😺

    We visited Luray Caves in Virginia when the girlies were little. I had to laugh at the steak and potatoes formation as Luray had fried eggs.The falls were spectacular I don't recall water like that in Luray.

    Great post! I enjoyed my armchair trip very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby Falls, because it is the tallest one underground, is definitely worth seeing because it's not something you can see anywhere else. The Memphis area doesn't have caves, and they have fascinated me ever since my first trip to the Ozarks when I was a child.

      I'd love to take a train trip in the Autumn, maybe something that would last several days.

      Delete
  4. The train ride looked exciting, but that trip under the ground - wow! I would so love to see those caves and falls. That was really a vacation to remember for ever. Thanks for sharing the wonderful videos and photos. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several caves in the area, but we always seem to end up at this one when we come to Chattanooga. It's pretty spectacular in having the tallest underground waterfall.

      Delete
  5. So nice to see you! :) I was only down in a cave once and when the ceiling was low or the pathway narrow I found out I got a bit claustrophobic but they are so beautiful.

    The train looked like fun and it was so cool to see how they turned the engine like that. What an amazing trip you had! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some caves do have quite narrow passageways. I've never been on a cave tour where anybody had a noticeable problem, but I guess people who know they might get claustrophobic watch a video for a virtual tour instead. I imagine you'd only do caves once if you got claustrophobic while you were in one.

      The train was exciting for someone who'd always wanted to ride one but never had. If I had a bucket list, train ride would be on it :)

      Delete
  6. Those are very impressive adventures. Your railroad experience is very much like our local Rail Museum with several restored locomotives & carriages. But those caves are truly amazing with an element of magic thrown in. I really like your hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the falls were a national park instead of a private tourist attraction, but the family still own it and I'd guess always will. But I'm still glad we went again :)

      Delete
  7. I do love a train ride and caves, and the red hat is fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big supporter of wearing hats. More people should wear hats! lol

      Delete