Wednesday, June 05, 2019

The Sandman, by Neil Gaiman


The Sandman is a dark fantasy award-winning "comic book" series by Neil Gaiman. I've read this series three times and can highly recommend them. They are powerful works, both in character, in plot, in art.... There are photos of the art work online (Google image search results here).

The Wikipedia summary:
The Sandman's main character is Dream, the titular Sandman, also known to various characters throughout the series as Morpheus, Oneiros, the Shaper, the Shaper of Form, Lord of the Dreaming, the Dream King, Dream-Sneak, the Cat of Dreams, Murphy, Kai'ckul and Lord L'Zoril, who is the anthropomorphic personification of dreams. At the start of the series, Morpheus is captured by an occult ritual and held prisoner for 70 years. Morpheus escapes in the modern day and, after avenging himself upon his captors, sets about rebuilding his kingdom, which has fallen into disrepair in his absence.[54] The character's initial haughty and often cruel manner begins to soften after his years of imprisonment at the start of the series, but the challenge of undoing past sins and changing old ways is an enormous one for a being who has been set in his ways for billions of years.[55] In its beginnings, the series is a very dark horror comic. Later, the series evolves into an elaborate fantasy series, incorporating elements of classical and contemporary mythology, ultimately placing its protagonist in the role of a tragic hero.

The storylines primarily take place in the Dreaming, Morpheus's realm, and the waking world, with occasional visits to other domains, such as Hell, Faerie, Asgard, and the domains of the other Endless. Many use the contemporary United States of America and the United Kingdom as a backdrop.
When I read this the first time several years ago I had never read anything like it before -no graphic novels, no comic books- and I love these. You won't regret giving them a chance.



10 comments:

  1. I haven't read Neil Gaiman, but he's a terrific writer. He wrote one of the best 11th Doctor Who episode The Doctor's Wife. Himself and I just finished watching the series Good Omens which he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett. Now where did I put my library card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Omens is on my to-watch list, but I haven't started it yet. American Gods was the first Gaiman I read. The Sandman series is far and away my favorite of what I've read by him. I hope your library has it and that you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a series I would enjoy. Thank you for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was struck from the beginning. It even affected by dream life.

      Delete
  3. I am not a fan from Neil Gaiman, but perhaps this one would appeal to me more. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't like everything :) and there's so much variety out there!

      Delete
  4. I have wanted to read some Neil Gaiman for a bit. I just started his Good Omen series (which he co-writes) on Amazon so I am interesting in checking out this series. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an experience of a whole new kind for me. I hope you like it :)

      Delete
  5. I thought I had been here earlier today before my electricity went off (AGAIN), but I must have been dreaming. I tried to get into Coraline, but couldn't. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Coraline, but I have that DVD shelved in with my horror films. A _children's_ movie?! I don't think so!

      It's raining here again today, and rain is expected through the week-end *sigh* Our power is staying on, though. I feel for your situation with your outages :(

      Delete