Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Morrowind


In my search for non-competitive solitary games I was pointed to Morrowind by The Younger Son. I had tried Journey, but you do have to defeat an enemy to make it all the way through the game. I had tried Walden: a Game, but you have to complete set tasks within a set time period or all the color goes out of the world. I am particularly interested in a game where you can wander aimlessly without fulfilling set goals or performing timed tasks. The Younger Son tells me there are enemies in Morrowind but that you can avoid them and that there are tasks to do but that you don't have to do them and that you can wander through the environment as you wish.

Here's the game's trailer:



I have fond memories wash over me when I hear the music and voices and see the graphics in this game, because I remember when the game first came out and my son discovered it in 2002. I enjoyed watching him play. As I picked a name and a character and was given my first task I remembered my son doing those same things, but I'm ignoring the task. He always played the game as it's supposed to be played, following the directions and meeting all the challenges, so I've never seen the game explored in the way I intend to do.

I found some images online at Jason's Flickr account labeled for non-commercial re-use:

MGE-Screenshot-004

morrowind-4

morrowind-5

We'll see as I wander if this game will be enjoyable for me. Maybe what I want doesn't really exist in the gaming world and what I need to do is figure out how Second Life works.

8 comments:

  1. Well good luck with your wander. I'm not much of a games player either on screen or off. It will be interesting to see how far you can get about without completing the tasks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played a lot of cards and board games back in the day, but people take it so seriously! Yikes. I just backed away from all that.

      Delete
  2. I've never gotten into games but I should since the kids at school are into them and it would give me something else to talk about. But it makes them feel important to tell me about them I guess. Happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably wouldn't know about Morrowind. It's such an old game. There are newer games in that same series.

      Delete
  3. I used to play the combat games on play station years ago, never got into any after that.
    My daughter's fiance plays this one though, it's interesting to see the different landscapes and creatures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite video game by far is the Mario 64. I spent many a happy hour late into the night trying to beat that penguin down the slide and trying to make wall kicks work. Such fun :)

      Delete
  4. I am not a game fan, there are too many 'real' things to do. This one looks quite good. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, a game _is_ a "real" thing to do lol

      Delete