Wednesday, June 26, 2019

And God Said to Cain

And God Said to Cain is a 1970 spaghetti western starring Klaus Kinski. Kinski plays against type as an anti-hero who isn't insane, unlike his usual bat-shit crazy characters. I can highly recommend this. It has a cleanly linear betrayal/revenge plot without any of the unnecessary sub-plots that so often get in the way. The characters are well-drawn and well-acted, and it has a sinister atmosphere that takes full advantage of the growing dark brought by the oncoming tornado.



Spaghetti-Western.net calls it "a magnificent western". CultReviews.com has a glowing review.

12 comments:

  1. I like westerns so I'm taking your recommendation. I also like that you said there aren't any subplots to bog it down. I added it to the list on my blog, so I can watch it at some point in time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinski did crazy extremely well, but it was good to see him not go there in this.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of this or the star. At first glance I thought he was Gary Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. Kinski is an acquired taste, leaning so heavily on crazy as he does. He lived a controversial life.

      Delete
    3. I've been trying to switch from Chrome to Firefox, and I'm having trouble getting my blogger functions to work in Firefox *sigh*

      Delete
  3. Gosh, I wish I had time to watch this one, but I'm in catch-up mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many movies lol that's my constant wail.

      Delete
  4. I like Kinsky, and I can remember this film from way back. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous western! I always enjoy watching this one too 😀. Happy wishes! Jo x

    ReplyDelete