Sunday, June 30, 2019

Cabiria

Cabiria is an epic 1914 Italian film directed by Giovanni Pastrone. It is set in ancient Italy during the 2nd Punic War. It follows a child who escapes a volcanic eruption with her nurse. This film influenced the works of D.W. Griffith and Cecil B. DeMille and is considered the first epic film. It was the first movie screened at the White House. The special effects are impressive!



Roger Ebert has it on his list Great Movies and calls it "beautiful and enthralling". 1000 Misspent Hours focuses on the film as the first appearance of a Hercules-type strongman figure in film -Maciste is his name here. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics rating of 100%.

10 comments:

  1. Funny, you don't think of those producers/directors as being inspired by, but inspiring others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's interesting to wonder what inspired Pastrone. I guess each generation is inspired by something that came before.

      Delete
  2. I am taking time today to watch it. I think the children might appreciate it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they like it, but I've found the younger folks don't tend to like black and white films, much less silents. You never know, though. I always did :)

      Delete
    2. The tween got bored, but both teens sat through it. We even had a discussion about it afterward and some of the child's feelings. At first I worried it would dredge up bad memories, but they were eager to learn about the Punic War (as was I) and discuss the special effects.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad some of you liked it :) It's interesting how these fictionalized accounts can make the history come alive. And special effects in these very old movies always surprise me. They're always better than I expect them to be.

      Delete
  3. I remember seeing this many years ago. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow you share the coolest movies-thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many fun things out there :)

      Delete