Sunday, June 09, 2019

The Mother Hunt


The Mother Hunt is a 1963 Nero Wolfe detective novel by Rex Stout.

from the back of the book:
When an abandoned baby is left on her doorstep, the young socialite widow knows only too well the identity of the father: her deceased philanderer of a husband. But who is the mother? The case seems like child's play to Wolfe, until the first dead body. While the police nurse their grudges against him, and the widow nurses Archie, the genius sleuth and his sidekick look for the hand that rocked the cradle. But nothing can pacify the killer, who's found the formula for murder -and is determined to milk it for all it's worth....
The story takes place in June.

It was adapted for television, and Carrie Fisher has a small role.

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book, and I don't recall the made for TV movie with Fisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That entire tv series (with Timothy Hutton) is worth checking out.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:45 AM

    The TV adaptation is one of my favorites in the series.
    --A Pal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bittersweet now, but yes it's a good one :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds familiar. I'm sure I saw the TV adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the book but not the film, must keep an eye out for it. Have a great, new week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The episodes from that tv series show up on Youtube sometimes and would certainly be worth checking out. We have the series on DVD and enjoy re-watching them.

      Delete
  5. How many book did Rex Stout write? I think you must be pretty far into them. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that I'm almost done with the Nero Wolfe books, or at least the ones I have access to. Stout wrote 33 novels and 39 novellas that had Wolfe in them lol I'm not seeking out books that are out of print or anything but am just reading the ones my younger son has gathered through the years. He discovered him when he was young and came across many of them in used book stores. He wrote books unrelated to Wolfe also. He was a prolific writer!

      Delete